Advice on Graduate School
- Apply early. Learn about application deadlines for financial aid, fellowships, and assistantships. Also, make sure you are a good match with the program.
- Ask for letters of recommendation early, at least two months in advance. If a professor doesn’t know you well, don’t ask him/her for a letter.
- Have statements of purpose proofread. There is nothing worse than a spelling/grammatical error in a document that is representative of you.
- Prepare for the GRE. Most programs have a minimum score as a requirement so it is never too early to start studying. Also, as a computer based exam, the testing will go much smoother the more practice you have.
- Start working on your vitae. This represents your professional growth and development and good vitae is an effective way to soar above other applicants.
- If you are interested in applying to the graduate program at UCM, drop by the office (Lovinger 1111). Also, Graduate Assistantships include a scholarship to cover instructional fees and a monthly stipend. Apply early!