Instructor of Fashion and Apparel Merchandising
University of Central Missouri
- M.S.E. University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, MO 2007
Master of Arts in Education and FCS Teaching Certification
- B.S. University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 2001
Textile and Apparel Management
Certifications and Registrations
State of Missouri Public School Teacher’s Certification- FACS Initial Professional Certificate
Registered Retail Buyer- World Shoe Association, MAGIC, Shoe and Accessory Travelers Association, WINN Show
University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, MO 2008-Present
School of Technology
- Teaching faculty in Fashion and Apparel Merchandising program
- Faculty Advisor for approximately 85 majors and 12 minors
- Associate Graduate Faculty Status
- Liaison for summer orientation
FAME 140- Principles of Fashion Merchandising
FAME 1445-Freshman Seminar in Fashion
FAME 1450 -Fund. Of Apparel Design and Const.
FAME 2425-Apparel Quality Analysis
FAME 2430-Professional Image Management
FAME 2440-Professional Work Experience
FAME 2445-Sophomore Seminar in Fashion
FAME 2450-Textile and Apparel Fabrications II
FAME 2442-Textile Science
FAME 3415-Product Development for Consumers
FAME 3434-Fashion History of Costume
FAME 3435-Fashion Buying
FAME 34400-Fashion Promotion and Visual Merch.
FAME 3445-Junior Seminar in Fashion
FAME 4410-Materials for Interior Furnishings
FAME 4425-Fashion Entrepreneurship
FAME 4440-Sustainability for Consumer Products
- Family and Consumer Sciences Educator -Smith Cotton High School, Sedalia, Missouri 2006-2008
- Buyer, Social Media/ Online Marketing-Family Shoe Store, Boonville, Missouri 2001-Present
- Assistant Store Manager- Maurices, Warrensburg, Missouri 2003-2006
- Department Manager (Accessories)- Halls, Crown Center, Kansas City, MO 2001
- Association for Career and Technical Education 2011-2012
- American Association of Family and Consumer Science 2012-2013
- Fashion Group International
- Missouri Association for Career and Technical Education 2006-2008, 20011-present
Juried Creative Works
- Abner, M. (2011). Nature’s Flight. AAFCS 103rd Conference and Expo, Indianapolis, IN (clothing design and abstract)
- Abner, M, Geisendorfer, K. (2013). Embracing Sorial Media to Enhance Learning in the Changing Classroom Environment. AAFCS 104th Conference and Expo, Houston, TX.
- Perrin B., Alkire, L, Abner, M, Geisendorfer, K. (2011). Building a Sustainability initiative in CTE programs. ACTE National Convention, St. Louis, MO.
- Abner, M. (2012). Chemicals in personal care products: Know the risks and take action. AAFCS 103rd Conference and Expo, Indianapolis, IN
Non-Juried Presentations and Creative Works
- Abner, M. (2012). Cocktail Cafe. AAFCS 104th Conference and Expo, Houston, TX. Design submitted.- displayed at Haute Trash Fashion Show UCM.
- Abner, M. (2011). Healthy Cosmetics. Warrensburg Citizens for Environmental Awareness. Community Center, Warrensburg, MO.
- Abner, M. (2011). Green Living: Making good choices from cosmetics to clothing. Teach-In on Sustainable Solutions, UCM, Warrensburg, MO.
- Abner, M. (2010). Creating a good visual display. Warrensburg High School FCS class, Warrensburg, MO.
- Abner, M. (2010). Fashion show of spring fashions organized by FAMe 3440: Fashion Promotion class. UCM Support Staff Breakfast, Warrensburg, MO.
- Abner, M. (2009). Something old, something new, something borrowed: The history of wedding dresses. Warrensburg PEO Chapter, Warrensburg, MO.
- Abner, M. (2009). Where do your clothes go? National Teach-in for Sustainability Issues, University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, MO.
- Abner, M.A. & Lazenby, E. (2007) Perkins Grant. Obtained $10,000 for new kitchen equipment, multimedia systems , and Baby Think it Over simulators for Smith-Cotton FACS program.
- Abner, M.A. & Lazenby, E. (2008). Perkins Grant. Obtained $10,000 for 20 laptop computers with a cart for Smith-Cotton FACS program.
- Abner, M. (2012 & 2013). Scholarly Activity Fund, University of Central Missouri. Awarded: $600
- Abner, M. (2008). Scholarly Activity Fund, University of Central Missouri. Awarded: $300