House Party Guide
How to work with the police if they come to your party
- Don’t run away or lock the doors. A host of the party should talk with the officers. Refusing to answer the door will not avoid a citation, as you can be cited after the fact.
- Stop the music and calm guests down. Encourage your guests to follow the instructions of the responding officers.
- Be courteous and respectful and comply with the police officers’ requests.
- Uncontrollable and uncooperative behavior may increase the chances of a citation for disorderly conduct, failure to disperse, resisting arrest or obstruction of justice to be issued.
- If you have concerns or questions regarding police procedure or conduct, contact the appropriate agency during the next business day to voice your concerns.
Please note: we are not lawyers and this guide should not be taken as legal advice.
If you would like to read more, follow the links below.
Resources for Our Partners