Office of Accessibility Services
- Services Offered
- Accommodations Available
- Contact Us
- Opportunities at OAS
- Documentation of Disability
Information for Finals
(scroll to the middle)
Documentation of Disability
The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) operates under the mandate of federal disability law which includes the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The law provides that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity for post secondary education. Under the law, the definition of "disability" requires that the impairment be a permanent or long term physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activity, this includes education.
OAS provides academic accommodations to Central Missouri students with disabilities. Accommodations are those measures which are reasonable and appropriate and will aid in providing an equal educational opportunity for the student.
The law requires the student to provide appropriate documentation of the disability if the student wants to implement accommodations.
Appropriate documentation of the disability would indicate:
- an appropriate, professional source, e.g. on letterhead;
- the nature of the impairment;
- how the characteristics of the impairment appear in this individual;
- how those characteristics substantially limit one or more major life activity;
- and, if possible, indicate the accommodations that would be appropriate.
For additional information on documentation and other post-secondary issues, go to http://www.moahead.org/guidebook/guidebook.html, and click on Missouri College Guide Book.