Department of Biology and Earth Science
Dr. Anna Oller
Professor of Biology
B. A. Chadron State College
Ph. D. South Dakota State University
Dr. Anna Oller has been a faculty member at Central since 2000 and has worked her way up the ranks to Professor. She obtained her B.A. in Clinical Laboratory Sciences from Chadron State College in Chadron, Nebraska, and rotated through her clinicals in Iowa to become board certified. She obtained her Ph.D. from South Dakota State University in Brookings, South Dakota with an emphasis in Microbiology and Molecular Biology.She is a member in several organizations: American Society for Microbiology, American Society for Clinical Pathologists, and Missouri Academy of Science. She is currently the President of the Missouri Branch of ASM.
She currently serves as a Medical Technology, Radiologic Technology, Pre-Vet, Pre-Med, and Pre-Professional areas advisor, and is an advisor of the Paramedico and Pre-Veterinary clubs
Dr. Oller currently teaches Biol 3611 Microbiology with lab, Biol 3410 Forensic Science (taught every other Fall), Biol 4516 Hematology/Virology (taught every other Spring), Biol 4517 Serology lab (currently every other Spring), Biol 4311 Parasitology and lab (Fall), and Biol 5614 Bioterrorism (taught every other Spring).
She has also served on many departmental, college, and university committees and helped write letters for over 50 students who were successfully admitted to graduate and professional programs.
Dr. Oller’s research interests include polysaccharide and melanin regulation mechanisms in the fungus Aureobasidium pullulans, Staphylococus aureus transmission mechanisms, antibiotic resistance mechanisms, food microbiology, and ecological relationships to disease. Almost any topic dealing with clinical microbiology is of interest. She has served as a mentor for over 32 undergraduate research projects, many with internal funding, and multiple graduate student projects.
Selected Publications & Activities:
- Oller, A.R., B. Curless, L. Province. 2010. Staphylococcus recovery from environmental and human locations in two collegiate athletic teams. J Athletic Training. 45(3):9-12.
- Oller, A. R. & Ashley Mitchell. 2008. Staphylococcus aureus Recovery from Cotton Towels. J Infect Developing Countries. 3:224-228.
- M. Lange, A. Oller, S. Sarkar. 2007. Antimicrobial activity of mono- and di-methyl substituted benzhydrols and benzophenones, in vitro. Transactions of the Missouri Academy of Sciences. 41:14-19.
- Oller, A. R. 2006. Medium velocity spatter creation by mousetraps in a forensic science laboratory. The American Biology Teacher. 68:159-161.
- Oller, A. R. 2005. Aureobasidium pullulans morphology: two adapted polysaccharide stains. Canadian Journal of Microbiology. 51(12):1057-1060.
- Oller, A.R. 2005. Media effects of sugars on pigmentation and antibiotic susceptibility in Serratia marcescens. Transactions of the Missouri Academy of Science. 39:11-14.
- Oller, A.R. 2004. Nutrient limitation promotes pigment production in Aureobasidium pullulans. Transactions of the Missouri Academy of Science.38:52-55.
- Oller, A. R. 2003. Impacts of counter-terrorism legislation on civil liberties in the sciences. Journal of the Institute of Justice and International Studies. 3:80-87.
- John Kleyn, Mary Bicknell, Anna Oller. Microbiology Experiments (Laboratory Manual). 7th Edition. McGraw-Hill Higher Education. 2011. ISBN:978-0-07-731554-2
- John Kleyn, Mary Bicknell. Microbiology Experiments (Laboratory Manual), 6th Edition, McGraw Hill Higher Education. 2009. Contributions: Color Plates 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28. Revised Exercise 20 and provided figures 20.1, 20.2b, 20.7b, 20.8 and revised Exercise 28. ISBN: 978-0-07-299549-7
- 2010. Oller, A.R. Microbiology Lab Manual. Kendall Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa. ISBN:978-0-7575-8035-2
- Oller, A.R., 2009. Review of Microbiologically Safe Foods by Heredia, Wesley, & Garcia, Inoculum. 60(6):12-13.
- Oller, A.R., 2007. Review of Aflatoxins and Food Safety by Abbas. Inoculum. 58.
- Oller, A.R., 2007. Review of Fusarium Mycotoxins, Chemistry, Genetics, and Biology by Desjardins. Inoculum. 58(2):21-22.
- Oller, A. R. 2006. Review of Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms, 3rd Ed. by P. Stamets. Inoculum. 57(6):8.
- Oller, A.R. 2006. Review of Puregene Gram Positive and Yeast Genomic DNA Isolation Kit. (Peer reviewed and accepted). The Science Advisory Board. www.scienceboard.net
- Oller, A. R. 2005. Review of Microbe-Vector Interactions in Vector-Borne Diseases by Gillepsie, Smith and Osbourn. Inoculum. 56 (3):21.
- Oller, A. R. 2003. Aureobasidium pullulans. Educational photographs published on the internet at www.Microbelibrary.org published 9-22-03. (Peer Reviewed)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Athletic Training, 2007-Present
- Reviewer for the American Biology Teacher, 2003-Present
- Reviewer for The Transactions: 2005- Present
- Editorial Board Member of The Transactions: 2006- Present
- Associate Editor of The Transactions: 2010- Present
- Reviewer for the Medical Science Monitor 2007-Present
Graduate Research Projects
- Kimberly Keane 2002-2004. Development of multiplex PCR for forensic science applications using teeth DNA.
- Jessica Claxton 2003- May 2005. Development of culture media for previously uncultured oral microbes and relation of antibiotic susceptibility to age.
- Adam Walter 2005-2006. Identification and prevalence of disease in ticks in Johnson County Missouri.
- Scott Cowden (Committee Member) 2004-2006. Use of alpha-amylase and cortisol as biomarkers in undergraduate students.
- Jennifer Peek (Committee Member) 2009-2012. Catfish ecto and endo parasites.
- William Kirby 2006-Present. What is the feasibility of a Professional Master’s Degree for Science majors?
- Clarissa Brown 2008-2012. HPV survey and educational website development.
- Geoffrey Vincent 2010-Present. Tick-borne illness prevalence in Missouri.
- Stephanie Tristani 2010-Present. Bacterial inhibition to Echinacea plant extracts
- Jonathan Adams.2011-Present. Aureobasidium pullulans morphology.
Undergraduate Research Projects
Dakota Shade (2 Hr): Tick attraction to CO2.
Thomas Burgess (Honors): Bacterial inhibition on latex and silicone catheters.
Weslin Thomas (Honors): Staphylococcus and Pseudomonas recovery from different types of cell phones and the skin of the face and ear.
Katelyn Brier (4 Hr): Effects of triclosan concentrations on antibiotic sensitivity of Salmonella spp.
Scott Reed Spec. Prob. (1 Hr) REVALENCE OF RICKETTSIA SPECIES IN MISSOURI TICKS.
Kristen Perdue Spec. Prob. (1 Hr) ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE OF ACINETOBACTER BAUMANII.
Sarah Leonard (Honors) DO BASKETBALLS SERVE AS A SOURCE OF METHICILLIN RESISTANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS IN WOMEN’S COLLEGIATE BASKETBALL?
Scott Reed Spec. Prob. (3 Hr) PCR techniques.
Rachel Skaggs Spec. Prob. (3 Hr) Chemical and UV induced mutations in Bacillus, Staphylococcus and Mycobacterium.
Katie Yarber Spec. Prob. (2 Hr) Heartworm Prevalence in Canines and Felines in Missouri.
Alexis Eaton (Honors) Do the number of paint layers affect blood detection by luminol?
Tyler Laughlin & Greg Waag Spec. Prob. (2 Hr) Worked on recruitment and isolation of Staphylococcus aureus from college students.
Jessica Little (Honors). Isolation of Camplyobacter and gram negative bacteria from canines in a local shelter.
Barbara Hagens McNair Scholar. Do artificial nails harbor more bacteria than native fingernails?
Sara Faulk. THE EFFECTS OF ANTACIDS, PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS, AND PROBIOTICS ON GROWTH OF CLOSTRIDIUM SPOROGENES.
Marilyn Hillsman. McNair Scholar. Determination of Incidence and Prevalence of Gonorrhea and Chlamydia in Johnson County, Missouri.
Cheryl Dunham. Staphylococcus and E. coli viability and recovery from bathroom loofahs and sponges. (Honors)
Kenny Guillotte. Isolation of bacteria from a Salamander and Iguanas using molecular techniques. Spec. Prob. (3 Hr)
Ashley Mitchell. Staphylococcus recovery from towels and earrings. (Honors)
Trisha Frazer. McNair Scholar. Do antacids change stomach pH enough to allow Clostridium and Bacillus to grow?
Clarissa Brown. McNair Scholar. Comparison of Yeast Growth and Alcohol Production to Varying Bacterial Levels of Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Priscilla Richie. LoMoAMP. Genotype versus phenotype of Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecalis.
Amber Ferguson. Isolation of bacteria from consumer products. (Honors)
Ashley Willard. Isolation of bacteria from consumer products. (Honors)
Matt Hasty. Identification and Quantification of E. coli from bathrooms. (Honors)
Matt Hasty. Yeast Identification from the Human Oral Cavity. Spec. Prob. (1 Hr)
Sarah Neurnberger. Fecal Coliforms in water in Jamaica. Spec. Prob. (1 Hr)
Cassandra Quick. Microbial techniques utilized in processing bacteria. Spec. Prob. (1 Hr)
Katherine Cashell. Chemical composition of teeth and its relationship to cavities. Spec. Prob. (1 Hr)
Jenoa McCalister. Cellular and antibacterial effects by osmium chloride and UV radiation on Micrococcus roseus and Streptococcus durans. (Honors)
Margaret Lange. Synthesis and investigation of antibacterial activity of mono- and dimethyl substituted benzhydrol and benzophenone. (Honors) Finished her Ph.D. at MU, working on HIV.
Margaret Lange (McNair recipient). Synthesis and investigation of antibacterial activity of model compounds derived from dapsone. Spec. Prob. (3 Hr)
Margaret Lange. Mutational effects of osmium chloride and manganese II on UV resistant Micrococcus luteus and Streptococcus pneumoniae. Spec. Prob. (1 Hr)
Lorissa Sessor (McNair recipient). Mutability of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Proteus mirabilis by manganese and UV light. Spec. Prob. (3 Hr)
Nicole Wagner (HAMP URE recipient). Does pullulan or Aureobasidium pullulans inhibit other bacteria and fungi? Spec. Prob. (1 Hr)
Dr. Oller was awarded the Essential Piece Award from the department in 2007.
URC Graduate Student Awards
- 2007 Adam Walter 2nd place thesis award—plaque and monetary compensation
- 2005 Kimberly Keane 2nd place thesis award—plaque and monetary compensation
Missouri Academy of Science
- 3rd Place, Chemistry division: Margaret Lange, 2003
- 3rd Place, Biology division: Jenoa McCalister, 2003
Missouri Valley & Missouri Branch (American Society of Microbiology)
- 1st Place Presentation: Scott Reed, 2011
- 2nd Place Presentation: Sarah Leonard, 2010
- 3rd Place Presentation: Scott Reed, 2010
- 2nd Place Presentation: Margaret Lange 2003
- 2nd Pace Presentation: Matt Hasty 2006
McNair Scholars Awards
- 2nd Place: Barbara Hagens, 2008
- 1st Place: Margaret Lange, 2002
UCM Research Symposium
- 1st place poster: Kenny Guillotte, 2007
- 1st place poster: Margaret Lange, 2003Department of Biology and Earth Sciences
Office: WCM 312, UCM