"What Can I Do With a Major in...Graphic Design?"
Why Major in Graphic Design?
The graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design will use the knowledge and skills obtained in these programs to:
- Demonstrate in their work an understanding of and a concern for safety, the principles of sustainability, and the environmental impact of the decisions they make as artists and/or designers.
- Demonstrate critical and creative thinking by incorporating theories and practices in art and design production adequate for innovative expression in the visual arts.
- Communicate and support informed and artistically sensitive interpretations and judgments about his/her own work as well as visual forms made by others by using perceptual, critical and aesthetic concepts that underlie the disciplines of art and design.
- Recognize and describe major periods, styles and artists in art history, as well as the historical forces that influence aesthetics, creativity and critical theory.
- Facilitate a culturally rich and visually sensitive society by recognizing and utilizing the unique and important artistic contributions made by women and men from diverse racial, geographical and cultural groups.
- Use technology in creative, critical and teaching processes as well as a resource for producing art and gathering information about art, art history, aesthetics, and art criticism.
- Exhibits evidence of an understanding of the professional standards and practices for seeking employment and achieving long-term success in their degree program career field.
Related Career Titles
Related Job Listings/Job Search Website
AIGA Design Jobs
Americans for the Arts Jobs Banks
The Art Newspaper
Careers in Visual Arts
Design and Publishing Center
Fresh Web Jobs
Get Graphic Design Jobs
Graphic Design Jobs
The Graphic Design Tool
International Design Magazine
Advertising Photographers of America
America Advertising Federation
American Institute of Graphic Arts
American Society of Magazine Editors
Animation Blog Spot
Animation World Network
Art Directors Club Inc.
Association of Graphic Arts Training
The Association of Medical Illustrators
Computer Graphics and Interactive Technology Association
Entertainment Software Association
Graphic Arts Guild
Greeting Card Association
National Association of Photoshop Professionals
Mid Missouri Ad Fed
Society for Environmental Graphic Design
Society for News Design
Society of Illustrators
The Society of Publication Designers
Specialty Graphic Imaging Association
Tri-State Advertising and Marketing
Four-Year Academic Plan
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Career Services Center by e-mail at email@example.com and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me?
Career Development Coordinator