Student Teaching & Certification
FBI/Highway Patrol Background Check Procedures
for Certification & Student Teaching
Registering for Your Background Check
To be fingerprinted for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education through 3M/Cogent, you must register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History, MACHS, site located at www.machs.mo.gov.
- Click the icon to access the MACHS Fingerprint Search Portal.
- Click the icon to register with MACHS.
- Enter 2300 as the 4 digit registration number and click populate.
- Enter contact and personal information and click register.
- Review the information listed on the Missouri Fingerprint Background Check Summary for accuracy. You can choose to print this page for your records.
- Click complete registration.
- Click I understand and agree.
- The fee for the fingerprinting process is $44.80. You must make this payment online at the time of registration.
After registering on the MACHS website, you will need to be fingerprinted at one of the approved sites. Locations and hours are available online at www.cogentid.com by selecting Missouri and then locations and hours.
Individuals without access to the Internet may contact the fingerprint processing company, 3M/Cogent, directly at 1-877-862-2425 to have a Fingerprint Services Representative conduct this registration on their behalf.
Your background results will be recorded automatically on your DESE profile page in the online Educator Certification System. Results of fingerprints are generally reported to the Educator Certification System within 2-3 weeks from the fingerprinting date. You may view the results in your DESE profile once they are posted.
Scheduling an Appointment (Non-Missouri residents)
If you live outside the state of Missouri and cannot make an appointment for fingerprinting in Missouri, you may mail fingerprint cards directly to 3M/COGENT. You will need to contact the fingerprint processing company, 3M/Cogent, at 1-877-862-2425 to make sure all information is recorded on the FBI fingerprint cards correctly before mailing them. The fee for this process is $44.80.
Additional information about the fingerprinting process may be viewed at the following website: