Student Teaching & Certification
- Admission to Teacher Education
- Educator Profile DESE
- Initial Application Instructions
- Professional Education Courses
- Field Experience Observation Credit Form
- School District Classification List
- Fingerprinting / Background Check
- Areas of Educator Certification
- Alternative Pathways to Certification
- Student Teaching
- Substitute Certificate Instructions
- Praxis II Tests
- Meet Our Staff
* Note: New testing requirements for teacher certification
Admission to the Professional Education Semester and Student Teaching effective fall 2013 Undergraduate catalog
Student teaching is the primary component of the professional education semester. Approval for admission to the professional education semester, including student teaching, involves meeting the following minimum requirements:
- Complete admission to the teacher education program.
- Submit a completed request to student teach by December 1st for the fall semester or May 1st for the spring semester. Any application received by the Office of Clinical Services and Certification after the May 1st or December 1st deadline will be charged a late fee of $100.00. No late application will be accepted after the last preliminary meeting for student teachers. The dates for the preliminary meetings are posted on the calendars for each semester.
- All required courses must be completed prior to student teaching.
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher, content GPA of 3.0 or higher, Professional Education GPA of 3.0 or higher with no grade lower than a C. Those courses designated as Professional Education Courses for educator certification purposes are designated by a book symbol in the UCM Undergraduate catalog. Students must earn at least a C grade, and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in all Professional Education Courses.
- Obtain departmental recommendation in each area of student teaching, for each department or area in which student teaching placement is requested.
- Obtain a TB test, a doctor's certificate or other evidence of good health IF required by district where student teaching placement is requested.
- Meet the UCM residence requirements prior to student teaching, as described in the UCM Undergraduate catalog - Standards and Regulations.
- Possess a current background check on file with DESE.
- Take the required content area assessment prescribed by the Missouri State Board of Education. Must achieve state-mandated pass score for certification. Information about the Praxis II test can be found at www.ETS.org/praxis or calling 1-800-772-9476.
Background Checks and Additional Requirements
Additional requirements that must be met by the student for certain school districts currently include:
- Belton: Interview
- Blue Valley: Certificate of Health, TB test, FBI Background Check, Kansas Student Teaching Certificate, OSHA Blood borne (done by district)
- Fort Zumwalt: FBI Background Check, Substitute Certificate, Transcripts
- Fox: FBI Background Check, Child Abuse Check, TB test, Transcript, Teacher InSight Survey
- Independence: Electronic student teaching application submitted by the student through district website and Transcript, Resume, Cover Letter
- Lee’s Summit: FBI Background Check, Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above, No grade below “B” in either the core areas or area of certification specialty, Transcript, Resume, Cover Letter
- Liberty: Interview, FBI Background Check, Transcript, Resume, Cover Letter
- North Kansas City: FBI Background Check
- Olathe: TB test, FBI Background Check, Kansas Student Teaching Certificate, OSHA Blood borne (done by district)
- Park Hill: FBI Background Check, Resume, Transcript
- Rockwood: FBI Background Check, Child Abuse Check, TB test, Transcript, Teacher InSight Survey
- Shawnee Mission: Interview, Certificate of Health, TB test, FBI Background Check, Kansas Student Teaching Certificate, Transcript, Statement of Introduction
Preliminary Meetings for Student Teaching
Preliminary meetings are held each semester for students planning to student teach the following semester. Students receive information from Testing Services, Career Services, and the Assistant Director of Clinical Services and Certification. Attendance is extremely important for placement purposes.
Documents Available Online
Documents for District Supervisors
Documents for Students
Documents for University Supervisors
Student Teacher Handbook
Student Teaching Syllabi
Waiver of Student Teaching
"Look Fors" Quality Indicators for Observations
College of Education Scholarships
For Further Information: Contact us by phone: 660-543-4880 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org