Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
MS in Computer Science
Congratulations to Dr. Curtis Cooper, Professor of Computer Science who recently discovered the largest known prime number!
|MSCS program at the University of Central Missouri is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Welcome to the MS in Computer Science program at the University of Central Missouri - the high quality and most affordable computer science masters program in the state of Missouri. The University of Central Missouri is consistently ranked by the Princeton Review and the U.S. News & World Report as one of the best universities in the Midwest region which consists of 12 states. In addition, we are proud to be the first and only Missouri public institution outside the University of Missouri to offer an MS in Computer Science degree. This program is designed to produce senior computer professionals in the computer industry, and its focus is on the application of technology to solve a variety of practical problems.
Computer Science faculty at UCM are actively engaged in research activities which result in peer-reviewed publications and externally funded grants. Our faculty's research projects are well funded by both federal/state governments and industries. While National Science Foundation (NSF), Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) are examples for federal/state funding, Google is representative for industrial funding.
Computer Science program's labs are equipped with multi-million state-of-the-art computing software through major corporate license agreements such as Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) and Oracle Academy.
The graduate with a Master of Science degree in Computer Science will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Design, implement, and analyze algorithms in appropriate contemporary computer programming languages.
- Design, implement, and analyze computer systems and system software using theoretical and applied knowledge of computer architecture and operating systems.
- Develop and maintain medium to large scale application software using theoretical and applied knowledge of software engineering and project management.
- Design and analyze computer and communications networks using theoretical and applied knowledge of computer networking and security.
- Design and implement database systems using theoretical and applied knowledge of discrete structures, data structures, and relational database systems.
- Address the needs of society with a sense of professionalism.
- Adapt to a dynamic multidisciplinary technological environment through teamwork, ethical concerns, and effective communication.
- Enter a career in computer science related industry.
- Stay abreast of advancements in the area of computer science.
Full time student with no deficiencies can expect to complete this program in two academic years.
Our graduates have nearly 100% job placement rate and are employed by companies such as Amazon, Cerner, Garmin, Mastercard and many others.