Educational Leadership and Human Development
- Degree Programs
- Child and Family Development
- College Student Personnel Administration
- Counselor Education
- Library Science and Information Services
- School Administration
- Special Education
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Faculty and Staff
- About ELHD
Library Science and Information Services - Master of Science
The Master of Science in Library Science and Information Services degree satisfies the requirements for certification as a library media specialist in the State of Missouri. The curriculum for this degree has been approved by the American Association of School Librarians (a division of the American Library Association) through the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
To be accepted into the program, the candidate must have a minimum GPA of 2.75, three letters of reference, and a personal interview.
Student Learning Outcomes
The graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Library Science and Information Services will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to
- Apply strategies to ensure access to resources and information in a variety of formats to all members of the learning community.
- Encourage reading and lifelong learning by stimulating interests and fostering competencies in the effective use of ideas and information.
- Promote efficient and ethical information-seeking behavior as part of the school library media program and its services.
- Demonstrate the ability to create a positive educational environment in a literate, technology-rich, and inviting library media center atmosphere.
- Design and implement instruction that engages the student's interests, passions, and needs.
- Model and promote collaborative planning with classroom teachers in order to teach concepts and skills of information processes integrated with classroom content.
- Partner with other education professionals to develop and deliver an integrated information skills curriculum.
- Provide leadership and establish connections with the greater library and education community.
- Demonstrate effective leadership principles and work with the learning community to create a productive educational environment.
- Create school library media programs that focus on student learning and achievement; and encourage the personal and professional growth of teachers and other educators.
- Apply knowledge and skills in building, managing, and providing free and equitable access to resource collections to enhance the school curriculum and offer leisure reading materials for the school community.
- Administer the library media program according to the principles of best practice in library science and program administration to support the mission of the school.
- Apply leadership, collaboration, and technology skills to design and manage library media programs that are up-to-date, comprehensive, and integrated within the school.
Required Graduate Courses
|LIS 5100 Foundations of Librarianship||2|
|LIS 5240 Library Media Administration||3|
|LIS 5250 Developing & Managing Collections||3|
|LIS 5260 Library Systems & Information Technology||3|
|LIS 5270 Organizing Information||3|
|LIS 5322 Reference Sources & Services||3|
|LIS 5340 Children's, Adolescent, & Young Adult Literature||3|
LIS 5750 Using Online Resources
|LIS 5770 Curriculum and the Media Center||3|
|LIS 5820 Practicum I||2|
|LIS 5910 Action Research in School Libraries||2|
|LIS 6960 Research Paper||2-4|
|LIS 6990 Thesis||3-6|
|Graduate Electives in Library Science||
|Minimum Total Credit Hours||
Notes: 1) Many students may also need to take EdFL 4210 Teaching Reading in the Secondary School. 2) The practicum may be waived per DESE if you have been working as a library media specialist for three years.
Program of Study (Excel spreadsheet)
Professional Development Plan Requirements (Word document)�
Students who seek Missouri School Library Media Specialist PK-12 certification are advised to consult with the Director of Clinical Services and Certification:
Director of Clinical Services and Certification
University of Central Missouri
Clinical Services & Certification, Lovinger 2170
Warrensburg MO 64093
LIS Quick Links