Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an ID Card?
Visit the Campus ID Office in the Union. Hours of operation can be found here.

How do I get a parking pass?
Visit Campus Parking Services located in the Public Safety building. More information on the parking office can be found here.

What are my dues and where do I pay them?
Current dues are $3 per Emeriti per year, as decided by the Emeriti Association. Dues can be paid to the Treasurer of the Association whose contact information can be found on the Contacts page.

If I'm considering retiring from a faculty position and have informed my department, what would be my best course of action for initiating the process?
Visit Human Resources. More information can be found on the Human Resources Website.

How do I know whether the Emeritus title will apply to me when I retire?
As quoted from the Board of Governors policies: “Board of Governors of the University of Central Missouri may grant emeritus status to individuals who are retiring in good standing and who are:

  • Faculty members; certain administrative staff including the president, provost, vice presidents, vice provosts or university directors; assistant or associate vice presidents; assistant or associate vice provosts; deans; other staff members who report directly to the president or a vice president and/or Board of Governors; provost; vice presidents or vice provosts; and staff members who hold academic rank; and are past their 10th anniversary date of employment in a benefits eligible position; or
  • Employees retiring with a minimum of twenty (20) years of employment in a benefits eligible position at UCM upon retirement. The last 10 years of an employee's 20 years of employment in a benefits eligible position must be consecutive years of service at UCM; and Past their 10th anniversary date of employment at the university; and,
  • At least 50 years of age.
  • Special circumstances may warrant the Board of Governors granting emeritus status to others at its discretion."

See the Board of Governors Emeriti Policies page for more information. Check with your department chair for more specific information.

What about returning to work? I've heard of some professors returning to teach as Adjunct. What does this mean and how does one go about doing this?
Talk with your department chair about teaching opportunities.

What are the benefits of Emeriti status?
There are several benefits and privileges extended to Emeriti. See them here.

How will I know what is happening on campus?
You will receive periodic mailings from the Office of Alumni Relations and Development, as well as a newsletter from the Emeriti Association. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Groupwise & Emeriti E-Mail Lists
  • Today Magazine
  • Invitations to events from the Alumni Office and Emeriti Association

Events can always be found on the university calendar located here. Find specific Emeriti events on the Schedule of Events page.

Do I keep my same e-mail address from my tenure?
Yes. When you go through the check-out process through Human Resources, Information Services is notified of your change in status. You must request your account to remain active through Information Services every three years.

What benefits and privileges related to on-campus services and facilities are available to emeriti?
Use of Campus space, equipment and/or other resources, upon approval from the Department Chair or Vice President.

Where should I park when on campus? Do I count as a visitor?
With an Emeriti Parking Permit you can park in any faculty or staff lot. Standard handicap parking space regulations still apply.

Am I eligible to use the facilities at the Multipurpose Building or the new Student Recreation and Wellness Center?
The Multipurpose Building is available to the general public at designated hours which can be found on the building’s website.

Emeriti, as well as UCM Retirees not under Emeriti status, are able to use the Student Recreation and Wellness Center at no charge, as long as a valid UCM ID is presented. Hours of Operation can be found on the SRWC's website.

When are the Emeriti Association Officers elected, and for how long?
Emeriti Association Officers are elected at the Fall meetings of the Association of even numbered years. Terms generally last for two years.

I would like to nominate someone for an Association office. How do I do it?
Send an e-mail to the current Emeriti Association President.

Have another question not listed here? E-Mail your question to the Emeriti Association liaison, or see the Contacts page for a list of current officers.


Upcoming Emeriti Events

  • April 16, Spring Luncheon and Meeting, 11:30 a.m., Elliott Student Union 237A/B
  • April 16, Lifelong Learning Program, "Responding to Sexual Assault in Our Community," 7 p.m., Warrensburg Community Center, Rms B/C, 445 E. Gay St. Presented by Ashley Wellman, assistant professor of criminal justice, and Amy Kiger, director ofthe Office of Violence and Substance Abuse Prevention
  • May 7, Lifelong Learning Program, "Antique Glass Collecting," 2:30 p.m., Warrensburg Community Center, Rooms B/C, 445 E. Gay St. Presented by Melvin and Norma Lampton, Fenton Glass specialists
  • May 19, Monthly Coffee, Union 237B, 2 p.m.