- Geography Home
- About the Geography
- Degree & Certificate Progams
- Scholarships for Geography
- Faculty & Staff
- Student Activities
- Geography Club
- Archive of Events
- Geography Newsletter
- Advisory Board
- Alumni Survey
- Support the Program
Vision and Mission
Vision of the Geography Program
Geography is an integral part of the university's General Education core and provides both theoretical and applied courses at the basic to advanced levels. Dedicated to excellence in student learning, the Geography program will be known as:
- a campus and community resource in physical and human geography, mapping, remote sensing, and Geographic Information Systems;
- an innovator in service and interdisciplinary education;
- a liberal arts discipline informed and engaged on national and global issues;
- a program with large university opportunities in a small college learning environment (University Vision, 2006); and
- a community of scholars committed to the promotion of geography as "life-long, life-changing, and life-enhancing." (National Geography Standards)
The mission of the Geography program is consistent with the missions of the university, the College of Health, Science and Technologyand the School of Environmental, Physical and Applied Sciences. It provides:
- An open, challenging intellectual atmosphere in the liberal arts tradition with emphasis on learner-based education and the concepts of location, distribution and interaction.
- A program that fosters the development of spatial logic by the use of traditional and computer-assisted instruction.
- General Education courses on geographic topics and regions with opportunities for computer-assisted learning.
- Teacher education and support of public education with opportunities for computer-assisted learning.
- Theoretical and hands-on training in geographic technology for majors and minors in geography and cognate fields.
- Career and pre-professional preparation.
- Citizen support and education through community outreach, including instruction via distance learning.
- A program that promotes cultural understanding and community and global awareness.
- Support for research, public service, and professional enhancement of its faculty.
- An information center in geographic science and mapping for the region.