Meeting & Conference Services
- Schedule an Event
- Services Provided
- Event Technology Support
- Facilities and Amenities
- Catering and Dining Services
- Waivers, Forms and Policies
- Contact Us
- Getting to UCM
Event Promotions and Procedures
This section addresses and covers the distribution and posting of cards, notes, signs, fliers, computer listings, name lists and handbills, photo reproductions, newspaper clippings notices and posters on the grounds of UCM. The intent of this section is to provide UCM students, faculty and staff with the maximum opportunity and space to advertise approved events, products and services at designated locations throughout the campus.
Design all advertising materials to be neat, attractive and in the best interest of the advertiser and the university. Advertising materials should be typed and printed when appropriate for legibility and neatness. However, freehand drawings, writing and printing will be permitted. Advertising that uses offensive, obscene or inflammatory language will be removed.
Anything placed on a bulletin board or in a kiosk is considered a flier and must be posted in accordance with the guidelines established in this policy. Registered student groups and official units of the university are the only groups eligible to post and distribute signs, handbills and fliers. A list of the specific locations of designated areas where information may be posted is listed following these policies and is also available through the Office of Student Activities. Posters advertising non-university sponsored events must be of general interest to the university community and sponsored by not-for-profit organizations. Businesses and for-profit organizations will be allowed to post information only on the designated bulletin board in the Elliott Union. Commercial advertising or posting of personal notices, except where designated, is prohibited.
- Posters and fliers may not exceed 14 inches by 22 inches in size. Signs exceeding the limit must have special permission from OSA.
- The name of the sponsoring group or unit must appear on the flier or sign. The organization's name must be spelled out.
- All posters must be in English or contain an exact English translation.
- Signs, posters or fliers are posted for a maximum of two weeks.
- Signs must be posted in appropriate areas, such as bulletin boards or kiosks. Posters and fliers may not be attached to windows, doors, walls, floors, trees or any other part of the university grounds.
- Lawn signs may be used for special occasions, such as Homecoming and SGA elections, but must be approved by the OSA in advance.
- Staples and tape are difficult to remove, please attach posters with tacks whenever possible.
- Banners are allowed in some locations in Elliott Union and must be approved by the OSA. Banners are to be no larger than 5 feet by 7 feet. See banners section for additional information on banners.
- Please send one copy of the flier to OSA so they can share the information with other campus organizations that might be planning programs.
- Advertisements for persons running for state or local elected positions may only be placed on the public bulletin boards and must have a campus organizational sponsor indicated on the materials.
- The sponsoring organization has the primary responsibility for removing promotional information within 48 hours of the conclusion of an event. Failure to remove signs in unauthorized locations may result in the organization being billed and possible denial of future posting privileges.
- Information to be placed in the information kiosks is reserved for events designated as all-campus events. The kiosk keys are available in the Office of University Relations in Administration 302.
- Posters or fliers promoting the consumption of alcohol are not permitted on campus.
- Only items of general interest to the campus are to be posted on the boards noted as general interest/campus happenings. Items to be posted on academic departmental boards require permission from the appropriate academic department. Bulletin boards in classrooms fall under the jurisdiction of academic departments.
- Special regulations apply to the posting of information in the residence halls. These regulations are listed in the guide to living and learning, which is produced by the Office of University Housing.
- Posting is not allowed on the Elliott Union walls, railings, doors, floors or walkways.
- Restrictions on posting may apply to posters or fliers that include corporate names or logos. For specific details, please refer to the university policy regarding corporate sponsorship, which is available in the OSA.
- Special exemption from any of these policies can be requested in the OSA in Elliott Union 217.
- The university reserves the right to remove any form of advertising that does not comply with this policy.
The Elliott Union has four rolling boards available for student organizations and academic departments. Rolling boards one and two are located on the second floor, and they are to remain on that floor. Rolling boards three and four are located on the first floor, and they are to remain on that floor. Student organizations and academic departments wanting to use a rolling board must contact the Elliott Union Information Desk and complete a rolling board reservation request form. Reservations for rolling boards run from Monday to the following Monday. There is a limit of one rolling board per organization or department in any given month, provided that the reservation is not for consecutive weeks. The organization or department is responsible for cleaning the board of all materials when the reservation period is over. Noncompliance with this policy may prevent use of rolling boards in the future.
Free-Standing Promotional Fixtures
Organizations and departments must obtain approval for department-specific bulletin boards, A-frames, T-stands and rolling boards from Elliott Union management. Requests should be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Elliott Union has easels available for student organizations. A maximum of three easels may be displayed at one time. Easels must not disturb traffic or the use of Elliott Union facilities. The organization or department using the easels is responsible for cleaning them of all materials after usage. Reservation forms can be picked up at Elliott Union Information Desk for easel rental without a room rental. If you have a room reservation, you should request an easel to be reserved, by your Event Coordinator, in Elliot Union 301.
Banners may be hung from the railings outside Elliott Union 301 and the railing in front of the Union Bowling Center, but are not permitted inside the building. A staff member will hang the banner once turned in. See the Campus Posting Procedures section for general posting policies. Forms to reserve banner space can be picked up in Elliott Union 301. Please make sure banners are:
- From a registered student organization or department.
- Professionally made of vinyl, nylon or other approved material with eyelets for hanging.
- Designed with brackets for ties or cords to hold them in place.
- No larger than 7 feet by 5 feet maximum and no smaller than 2 feet by 4 feet.
- Displayed for a maximum of two weeks.
- Made of paper that will not easily tear.
Display cases are assigned to organizations or departments on a first-come, first-served basis. Display items must coincide with educational objectives and the mission of the university. The Elliott Union is not responsible for the loss or damage of display items. The Elliott Union reserves the right to reassign cases.
Each student organization is allowed 10 free hall tables across campus per semester. A hall table form must be filled out in Elliott Union 301. Hall tables are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.