Google Groups allows for management of mailing lists and provides services
for communication and collaboration with Group Members.
Specific features include:
- Directory Listing of Groups: Group managers can determine
if a Group is visible to the UCM Group Directory. Groups are always listed in
"auto-fill" (when you type in a person's name and it finds addresses matching
that name) and can not be removed from it.
- Group Role Management: Group Managers can moderate
messages, specify who replies are sent to, activate a group's discussion
archive, and allow users outside of UCM to participate.
- Membership Management: UCM members can easily manage their
group memberships, choosing from full email, abridged email, digest email, or no
email. Members can also unsubscribe from any group.
- Discussion Archives: All messages sent to a group can be
viewed on a discussion page. This allows members access to important past
communications. Members may also post directly to the discussion page if
- Group and Message Search: Users can quickly find existing
public groups. Group managers have the ability to make their groups private or
- Size and Message Limitations: By default, messages can be
up to 25 MB in size, including attachments. There is no limit on the number of
posts a user can send a day to a group; however, email sending limits still
apply. These settings may be adjusted lower by group owners.
How to Use Google Groups
Google Groups at UCM can be accessed by clicking the Groups link at the
top-left of the screen once you have logged into Google Apps.
Google Groups Core Concepts (links to Google Support)
and Joining a Group
to a Group
and responding to Group Posts
Google Groups Help