University Policy Office
Use of Tobacco Policy (Effective January 1, 2014)
Board of Governors Policy 1.2.120
Revised and approved by the Board of Governors on November 16, 2012 (Effective January 1, 2014. Fully enforced July 1, 2014)
The purpose of the University of Central Missouri (UCM) "Use of Tobacco Policy" is to promote the health of the university community, to preserve and protect university property and to provide a respectful, clean and safe environment to study, work and learn.
Tobacco – encompasses all tobacco products (traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes, pipes, cigars, hookah, water pipes, and all other forms of smoke-generating products, chew snus, snuff, etc.) or any nicotine delivery method not approved by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as nicotine replacement therapy.
- Tobacco use is prohibited in all university-owned, leased or controlled buildings and residences.
- Tobacco use is prohibited in all outdoor areas of UCM campuses (see map); provided, however, tobacco use is allowed in personal vehicles, at the Keth Memorial Golf Course, and in designated parking lots during designated events such as commencement, sporting or performing arts events.
- Additionally, Tobacco use specifically is not allowed in university vehicles.
- Students, faculty and employees will be provided, upon request, assistance with identifying tobacco cessation resources, including free information and access to low-cost referral programs, through appropriate campus resources determined by UCM.
- UCM has a clear expectation for compliance with all university policies. These expectations are the same for Tobacco use. This policy applies to all members of the university community defined to include all faculty, staff, students, visitors and contractors. The success of this policy depends on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers. The university community shares in the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing this policy. Authority for enforcement of this policy is ultimately vested with the provost and the appropriate vice president.
- The sale or free distribution of Tobacco products is prohibited on university- owned, leased or controlled premises.
- Tobacco advertisements in university-owned publications and media are prohibited.
- Tobacco use may be permitted for controlled research, educational or religious ceremonial purposes, with prior approval of the appropriate senior administrator.
- The provost or appropriate designee will make provisions for periodic review and critical evaluation of procedures related to this policy.
Revised and Approved Paragraph III. 2. by the Board of Governors August 23, 2013
Revised and Adopted by the Board of Governors November 16, 2012. Policy becomes effective January 1, 2014 (soft enforcement), full enforcement of Policy July 1, 2014.
Policy Revised and Adopted by the Board of Regents March 17, 1993
Implementation Date for Revised Policy: July 1, 1993
Revised and Approved by the Board of Governors on May 18, 2005
Formatting updated August 1, 2007