Department of Communication and Sociology
- Communication Programs
- Communication Faculty and Staff
- Communication: Current Students
- Sociology Programs
- Sociology Faculty and Staff
- Sociology: Current Students
- Getting Involved
M.S. Social Gerontology
The Master of Science in Science in Social Gerontology is a 32 hour applied program providing focused training for first-career students and mid-career professionals from diverse backgrounds who wish to earn a practitioner’s degree for work in this growing field. A second smaller group that may benefit from the program consists of those who have gerontology as a primary academic interest and who intend to continue on in pursuit of a doctoral degree. Our curriculum is designed to prepare students for careers in a variety of areas including:
- “One on one” service provision: Working on an individual basis with older adults and their families to determine their individual needs and provide assistance.
- Program development, implementation and evaluation: Determining the interests and needs of older persons at the community level, designing and implementing programs to meet these needs, and assessing program effectiveness.
- Management and administration: Planning, facilitating, and/or overseeing the daily operation of facilities, organizations and agencies directed towards the needs of older adults and their families.
- Business services: Advising business, industry, and labor regarding older workers and consumers.
- Product and service development: Identifying unmet product and service needs of older persons and their families.
- Advocacy: Articulating the need of older people and urging the adoption of public or private programs designed to meet these needs.
- Research: Designing and carrying out research to increase our understanding of the social and behavioral aspects of the aging process.
Dr. Tina Quartaroli serves as the Social Gerontology Program Coordinator. If you have any questions about the Social Gerontology program or would like additional information, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.