The Institute for Rural Emergency Management
- About IREM
- IREM Project Areas
- Rural Emergency Management Resources
- Crisis and Disaster Management Degree
- Crisis and Disaster Management Certificates
- International Emergency Management Student Association
The Crisis and Disaster Management (CDM) program at the University of Central Missouri can be completed two ways:
1) On campus through traditional delivery. The core courses and the Emergency Management area are offered on a two-year rotational schedule.
2) Entirely online. The degree program is available to students in a wide variety of locations and work schedules. All the courses in the major and the four areas are offered online, at least one time a year.
The students enrolled in CDM are diverse and are attracted to this program of study because they have a strong desire to make a difference in the world. Some have experience in public safety, fire, or emergency medical services. Others have experience in business, service or hospitality. Many have connections to volunteer organizations and public service organizations.
Students choose this program because they want to build their knowledge base, develop skills, and practice what they are learning through community service learning opportunities. To be successful in this program and successful after graduation it is critical that students develop outstanding interpersonal skills and a broad knowledge base in the social sciences in addition to technical knowledge and skills that have been tested through years of public service.
The courses offered in Crisis and Disaster Management are designed for:
- Public safety personnel (emergency management, fire, police, EMS, and dispatchers)
- Institutional emergency planners (schools, hospitals, and facilities)
- Community service providers (Red Cross, relief organizations, and disaster recovery)
- Industrial emergency responders (fire, rescue, and hazardous materials)
- Business continuity planners (banking, corporations, insurance, and manufacturing)
NEW ONLINE CERTIFICATES
Now available, 12 hour online certificates in:
For more information, click on the certificates above to link to the course information page or contact our office at 660-543-4971 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on CDM2014 for a PDF of the program overview.
Click here for a link to UCM Online, for more information about being an online student at UCM.
CDM Alumni Stories:
"Upon graduating from CMSU/UCM in 2005 with a bachelor's degree in CDM and a masters degree in Criminal Justice, I began utilizing my degrees in the field of bioterrorism response planning for local health departments in St. Louis, MO and Kansas City, MO. Since 2008, I have worked for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region VII and am currently a Senior Planner within the Response Division, Planning Branch. The field of Emergency Management continues to be challenging and allows individuals to be innovative to help others mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters."
What You Should Know About Emergency Management Degrees
Check out this article from Emergency Management magazine online, published January 14, 2011. Interesting discussions follow the article in the Comments area.
Join us on Facebook: UCM CDM Alumni and Alumni in Training.
For more information about the CDM degree contact the Institute for Rural Emergency Management at email@example.com or 660-543-4971.