Open Calendar


Click to print this page

Visas and Immigration

International Faculty and Scholar Services (IFSS) at UCM provides comprehensive assistance to the University of Central Missouri on all aspects of non-student immigration.  IFSS acts as the liaison between the university and all government agencies involved in immigration matters, and assists individuals in complying with immigration laws and regulations.

Specifically, IFSS:

  1. In collaboration with Human Resources, advises university departments and and processes immigrations-related documents for employment-based non-immigrant and immigrant statuses.
  2. Administers UCM's J Scholar Exchange Visitor Program, which includes issuing J scholar documents, advising departments and visiting scholar, and providing J scholar orientation sessions.

H-1B Employee Sponsorship

The H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification used for the sponsorship of international faculty or staff who will be employed at the University of Central Missouri. The H-1B visa is "employer specific” and "position specific." Therefore, employees must obtain a new H-1B visa approval for each new position and employer.

Eligibility Criteria

The H-1B visa allows foreign nationals to temporarily work in the U.S. in specialty occupations for up to six years. The H-1B visa category has the following key requirements:

  • Applicant must have theoretical and practical application of a highly specialized body of knowledge
  • The position must require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a related field
  • Offered wage must meet or exceed the prevailing wage for the position
  • The Office of Human Resources at the University of Central Missouri prepares and files the H-1B petition; prospective employees cannot obtain H-1B visa status on their own

J-1 Visa Visiting Scholars

The J-1 scholar visa category has been designed to enhance cultural and educational exchange between scholars in the United States and abroad. The UCM's J-1 Exchange Visitor Program sponsors visiting professors and research scholars to engage in teaching, research, and other academic activities.

Eligibility Criteria

The Exchange Visitor Program requires either:

  • a UCM contract for temporary employment as a visiting professor, instructor, or researcher; or
  • a UCM courtesy appointment as an unpaid visiting scholar hosted by a UCM academic department. Persons hired to permanent employment (e.g., tenure-track faculty, career instructor, and career research scientist) positions are not eligible for participation in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and should review our H-1B Faculty page instead.


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram