Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

University Relations

University of Central Missouri
Administration 302
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4640
Fax: 660-543-4943


College High Memorial to be Dedicated

Contact: Mike Greife
WARRENSBURG - 10/15/2007 - A permanent memorial to an integral part of UCM's heritage will be dedicated Saturday, Oct. 20, as part of the university's annual Homecoming celebration.

Honoring a Part of UCM's Heritage

The College High Memorial, which honors the memory of the university's laboratory school, will be formally dedicated in an 11:30 a.m. ceremony following the Homecoming parade.

Contributions by Alumni, Friends Make Memorial Possible

The College High Memorial

The memorial is located just southeast of UCM's Humphreys Building, which housed College High School for many years. It is a reality as the result of efforts of the College High Memorial Committee, with assistance of the UCM Office of Alumni Relations and Development. Contributions from more than 200 alumni and friends made the memorial possible.

Design Symbolic of School's History, Purpose

Designed by Richard Monson, UCM professor emeritus of art who also served as project manager, the memorial consists of three brass pylons arching over the school seal cast in bronze and set into the memorial floor. Each of the three pylons contains stained glass panels in the schools colors of green and white, designed by Monson and created by UCM alumnus Rebecca Hite and the staff of her stained glass studio, A Stained Glass Station in Lee's Summit, MO.

The panels represent several of the academic areas available to the school's students. At the top of each pylon are stained glass panels containing stylized images of the colt, the College High mascot. Completing the design is the gray stone masonry at the base of each pylon, creating a visual link to the Humphreys Building. Three bronze plaques with the history of the school are mounted on the pylons, and the memorial is lit by a small light in each pylon, providing a twilight glow during the evening hours.

A Tradition of Preparing Educators

The history of the school begins in 1906, when the Missouri legislature approved funding for a training school to provide classroom experience for future teachers. In 1917, the two-year school became a four-year high school and was named Training High School. Training High School became College High School in 1939, adopting the green and white school colors and the colt as the school's mascot. When CMSC became Central CMSU in 1972, College High became University High School, a name it retained until in closed with the graduation of the class of 1976.

Public Invited to Attend

The public is invited to attend the ceremony. For more information about the College High Memorial and the dedication ceremony, contact the UCM Office of Alumni Relations and Development at 660-543-8000.