Open Calendar


Click to print this page

Graduate Education Appeals

Policy Appeals

Certain graduate policies may be appealed within the guidelines specified per the Graduate Catalog.

The appeal begins by completing a Petition. The petition is submitted to the appropriate office in Graduate Studies (i.e., Graduate Education and Research or Graduate and International Student Services) and reviewed by the Director. The Director may seek input and recommendation from the school or academic unit where the student is active. 

Submit Appeal

Graduate Education and Research Appeals

Enrollment Overload

The normal load per semester for a graduate student is 9 to 12 semester credit hours. A graduate student may enroll in a maximum of 16 credit hours per fall or spring semester and a maximum of 12 credit hours during the entire summer semester, including both undergraduate- and graduate-level courses.  Under extenuating circumstances, students with at least a 3.50 graduate grade point average may submit a petition to the Director of the Graduate Education & Research office through their academic school to enroll in more than the maximum number of credit hours. Approval must be granted prior to the semester that the student wishes to enroll for more than the maximum hours.  

The request for enrollment overload must include

  • explanation/justification for this appeal
  • semester of the enrollment for which an overload is requested
  • number of hours currently enrolled
  • course(s) requesting to be enrolled into (CRN, prefix, course number)

Appeals Form

Extension of Eight-Year Rule

All courses that satisfy certificate or degree program requirements must have been completed during the eight-year period immediately preceding completion of certificate or degree program, this includes transfer credit.

The request for extension must include

Appeals Form

Graduate Academic Eligibility Reinstatement

Students who are in graduate ineligible status and then raise their GPA to a 3.00 or higher may petition the Graduate Education and Research office to be reinstated to their degree/certificate program.

The request for reinstatement must include

  • explanation/justification for this appeal
  • detailed plan of how you will successfully complete your degree and remain in good academic standing

Appeals Form

Course Repeat – Grade Replacement

Graduate students may petition the Graduate Education and Research (GER) office to have up to any six graduate hours of repeated grades excluded from the grade point average (GPA). Students may petition to apply those six hours of repeated work towards multiple courses or repeats of the same course. A petition may not be submitted until the course under consideration has been repeated and a grade earned. Students who have had the maximum six hours of credit excluded from the GPA may not submit additional petitions regardless of the length of time or number of degrees.  

The request for course repeat / grade replacement must include

  • explanation/justification for the replacement
  • prefix and course number of the course replacement

Appeals Form

Academic Renewal

Graduate students returning to UCM after an absence of five (5) or more calendar years may petition for Academic Renewal. Academic Renewal will allow the student a “fresh start” towards a graduate degree or graduate certificate program. The renewal will affect all graduate courses taken prior to the absence.

The request for academic renewal must include

  • explanation/justification for academic renewal
  • program you were in when you last attended UCM
  • program you are planning to apply to
  • detailed explanation for what has changed and why you believe you will now be successful in starting over in this graduate program

Appeals Form


Graduate Education & Research
Ward Edwards 1900
Tel: (660) 543-4729


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram