Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116

February Meeting Minutes

Provost Council Meeting
February 26, 2015
Martin 128


The following were present: Deborah Curtis, Mike Grelle, Betsy Kreisel, Jim Graham, Gersham Nelson, Roger Best, Mike Wright, Lynn Alkire (for Alice Greife), Mollie Dinwiddie, Janice Putnam, Doug Koch, Vicki Orcutt, Karen Dexter, Stan Elliott, Rick Smetana, and Debbie Combs.

Space for New Lee’s Summit Facility
Phase I of this facility will open fall of 2017. Dr. Curtis stated it is time to give serious thought to what will be in that space so the architects can finalize plans. The bond issue for the building will be on the ballot in April for the Lee’s Summit School District. UCM will lease space in the building. After 20 years of leasing the space, UCM will then split the operations cost with them so it is more like owning. June 7, 2017 is the tentative move-in date. A meeting is scheduled with the design group on March 12 and they need to know the number of classrooms that will be needed in phase one. Dr. Curtis stated space in the new facility needs to be managed for growing purposes. After a lengthy discussion the following concerns need to be addressed:

Gersham Nelson will talk to Eric Honour regarding digital visual and audible space
Mike Wright will talk to Nancy Forth to make sure the identified space is correct for counseling program
Roger Best will get with his chairs to make sure their needs are met with the identified space. He has concerns on the social work space.
Doug Koch will touch base with the Summit Technology Academy on their identified space. He said they need to have dialogue on the technology and equipment needs.
Stan Elliott will talk to Elaine Metcalfe about a hospitality site
Deborah Curtis will talk to Jason Drummond about space for the Foundation Office
Vicki Orcutt thinks there needs to an office on site for International students as a one-stop shop

Vicki Orcutt feels they can manage the classrooms for growth. She is concerned about office space for faculty. Dr. Curtis suggested identifying three or four spaces faculty can share for confidential conversations with students and then sharing office space. She has used that set-up before and it worked well. A decision needs to be made soon on moving the entire nursing program to CSC. Dr. Curtis said we may need to keep some of our current space. She asked the deans to let her know what is needed and the space will be designed to meet those needs.

Dr. Curtis asked members to circle back with her by March 6.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary