Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Academic Affairs / Provost

Administration 203
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4116

March Meeting Minutes

Provost Council Meeting
March 12, 2015
Martin 128


The following were present: Deborah Curtis, Mike Grelle, Shari Bax, Betsy Kreisel, Jim Graham, Roger Best, Mike Wright, Alice Greife, Tina Church, Mollie Dinwiddie, Joseph Lewandowski, Laurel Hogue, Janice Putnam, Rose Gubele, Dorothy Arnett, Melody Niesen, and Debbie Combs.

Information Items
None were given.

The minutes were accepted as distributed.

Report Items
SLT: Dr. Curtis said President Ambrose is rethinking the composition of this group and will be using a different model going forward. There is now an SLT Extended group which includes the deans. They will be meeting once per month. The smaller group which is called SLT will be meeting every other week. The larger group is a communications body which will meet once a month.
Faculty Senate: No report was given.
Graduate Council: Ms. Church reported the main focus of the council has been curriculum due to the March 1st catalog deadline. They have been working on the College of Education program reviews in collaboration with APRC. The discussion of 4000 level undergrad and graduate courses is on the agenda for the graduate faculty meeting on April 21. A need for Graduate Council by-laws and a philosophy statement to accompany the Graduate School mission statement has been discussed.

Discussion Items
Technology hardware Inventory 2015: Dr. Graham said they are trying to pull information together by department rather than by person. Their goal is to have it completed by the end of March. Dr. Wright thinks the departments should be expected to take care of these inventories and Dr. Curtis added it should be part of the chairs training. Dr. Graham added that 10% if the equipment couldn’t be identified last year. He also said that when we went from four to five colleges and then back to four they lost track of some of the equipment. Surplus computer equipment is handled by the Office of Technology technicians.
Call for Existing Documents Regarding Standards for Levels of Instructional Faculty: Dr. Putnam stated she put a call out for these documents and received one. She said people need to be identified that can look at the criteria.
University Research Awards: Dr. Putnam asked if there is interest to reinstate these awards at the student level. None of the colleges have these awards but some departments do. Dr. Putnam will take this back to the University Research Council and ask them to review the policy.
Student Technology Fees Policy: Dr. Putnam reported she has received some feedback on the revisions she sent to the deans. Her soft deadline for this policy revision is the end of the semester. She also asked for the tech fee expenditures so she can categorize them.
Course Redesign: Innovation with English 1020: Dean Nelson introduced Dr. Rose Gubele. She then introduced Melody Niesen and Dorothy Arnett. Dr. Gubele said the first year of the original course redesign of English 1020 went well but the second year did not. New technology was introduced which increased the usage in the classroom. Dr. Gubele stated they created their own Blackboard based program with five modules that includes different aspects of grammar. All sections used the redesigned course this past fall. The custom textbooks used for the course are more reasonably priced for the students.
Technology Purchases: Dr. Graham reported they are working with Procurement to establish what needs to be purchased through the Office of Technology.
Stand-Up Workstations: Dr. Graham said these are being requested more frequently across campus. Lisa Butler in Procurement has brought in several models which are available for people to look at it. The Office of Technology will get them deployed but they are being executed through Procurement.
Blackboard Mobile: Blackboard has agreed to offer this to UCM’s user community at no charge. Dr. Graham said they are working with the Student Government Association to push the information out to the student community. This will allow students to access Blackboard with their mobile devices. Dr. Bax added it is designed more for the student side rather than the instructor side.
Windows 2003 Server: Dr. Graham said Windows 2003 will no longer be supported. They will be working with departments still using these servers. Different models will be in place before removing the old ones.
Banner Projects: Dr. Graham said Finance and Administration is trying to put in place travel and expense reimbursements through Banner. A lot of information is being pulled from Banner due to SRAM. That process is presenting opportunities for change.

Dean Nelson asked for an update on the data warehouse. Dr. Grelle said they are making progress. He will ask Skip Crooker to attend an upcoming Provost Council meeting to give an update.

Dean Nelson also asked about a communication link between Blackboard and Banner. Dr. Graham said it is in process and some things are already in place. The process going back from Blackboard to Banner is not in place yet but the pieces defined from Banner to Blackboard have been accomplished. Dean Nelson said the grade book is lacking and that is the piece they wanted. Dr. Graham said they have requested a quote for that piece.

Dean Best asked if there can be an option for faculty to indicate they don’t have any Ds or Fs when reporting mid semester progress for students. Dr. Graham thinks that should be able to be done and he will work with Dr. Kreisel to get the appropriate people together to get that accomplished.

Hayley Hanson from Husch Blackwell is going to make a recommendation that expectations are clearly stated in faculty contract letters for continued employment and that training will be provided to help them meet those expectations.

Dr. Bax distributed copies of the contract for next year’s One Campus One Book, What Makes a Hero?: The Surprising Science of Selflessness by Elizabeth Svoboda. Ms. Svoboda will be on campus November 12. Dr. Bax said they are looking for activities that will employ the book and asked members to send her suggestions. There should be approximately 100 copies of the book available in the Union following spring break.

Dr. Curtis reported that she and Dr. Kreisel had an exit interview with EAB at the conclusion of their visit on March 11. She thanked members for the attendance of department chairs and faculty advisors during their visit. Dr. Curtis said they are trying to decide if this is a useful product for faculty advisors.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary

Provost Council Meeting
March 26, 2015
Union 229


The following were present: Deborah Curtis, Mike Grelle, Shari Bax, Betsy Kreisel, Jim Graham, Gersham Nelson, Roger Best, Mike Wright, Alice Greife, Mollie Dinwiddie, Joseph Lewandowski, Laurel Hogue, Alan Zabriskie, Janice Putnam, and Debbie Combs.

Information Items
Dr. Curtis announced she attended a meeting in Lee’s Summit this morning (March 26) regarding the new facility.

The minutes were approved as circulated.

Report Items
SLT Update: Dr. Curtis said they had their first meeting since the change in the SLT structure was made. This group includes President Ambrose, the vice presidents, four vice provosts, Dennis Cryder, and Monica Huffman. They will be meeting every two weeks. The SLT Extended includes the SLT plus the deans, Chris Bamman and Jerry Hughes. They will meet monthly.
Faculty Senate Update: Dr. Zabriskie reported the Senate is working on end of the year elections and new officers. The Committee on Committees is working hard to fill committee vacancies.
Graduate Council: Dr. Zabriskie gave this update in Tina Church’s absence. The Graduate Faculty Assembly will meet soon. Agenda items include an update on the scholarly activity fund, 4000 level undergraduate and graduate course update, the graduate council creating a regular review of graduate course syllabi and establish a deadline for those reviews, and create a philosophy statement for the grad school as a whole. They will also continue discussing minimum credit hours for graduate certificates. It currently stands at 12. The council also continues working with APRC on graduate reviews in the College of Education. Dr. Zabriskie stated he and Anna Oller have created a survey to send out to grad coordinators regarding the composition of the Graduate Council.

Discussion Items
Co-Curricular Inventory: Dr. Bax said this inventory was created several years ago and the information is now outdated. She is particularly interested in research projects that begin in the classroom but go beyond it. They have no method to measure those. After a lengthy discussion on how this information should be collected, a decision was made to add a category in the annual reports for this year for this purpose. The information will be collected via TK20 once it is up and running. Since Dean Greife’s college has already prepared their annual reports Dr. Bax will work with her to collect that information.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned for the International Student Barometer Survey Presentation.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Combs, Recording Secretary