Master of Arts
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences through the Department of Communication provides a degree in communication that is offered entirely online.
Professional communication practices coupled with effective leadership skills are the cornerstone for creating and maintaining excellence in an organization. UCM's online degree in Communication prepares you for assuming a more significant leadership role in a variety of communication-related professions. The online degree enhances your professional opportunities where the demand for presentation skills, writing, and research skills, management, and relationship building are vital for success.
Requirements of Acceptance into the Program
To be accepted into this program, it is recommended that you have an undergraduate major or minor in communication-related programs or have some background coursework or professional experience in the field.
Other requirements include:
- A minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.50.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.75 in 15 hours of undergraduate communication-related courses. If you are unsure about this requirement, please contact email@example.com.
- If you have limited coursework in communication, you may be accepted into the program conditionally. You may be expected to take 15 semester hours of undergraduate credit in communication and earn a 3.0 grade point average in those courses. If you are unsure about this requirement, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may transfer in up to nine hours of graduate coursework from another accredited institution. That transfer decision will be made by the faculty in the Department of Communication.
The individual’s program must be planned with the advice and consent of a department advisor.
COMM 5000 MA Introduction to Graduate Studies 1
COMM 5810 MA Theories 3
COMM 6980 Research Problems 1-6
COMM 5800 MA Quantitative Research 3
COMM 5820 MA Qualitative Research 3
COMM 4320 MA Social Influence 3
COMM 4781 Strategic Comm Audits 3
COMM 4780 Adv. Organizational Communication 3
COMM 4200 MA Communication and Crisis in Organizations 3
COMM 5720 MA International Communication: Global Marketing & PR 3
COMM 5300 MA Seminar Topics - TBA 3
COMM 5330 MA Group Communication 3
Applying to UCM
Admittance into the program is a two-step process.
1. You must first apply to the UCM Graduate Studies through an online application here. You will need to submit official academic transcripts at that time from all of the schools you have attended. You will also be expected to pay a small application fee.
2. Once you have been admitted to the University, then your application will be sent to the Graduate Coordinator in Communication. You will be expected to submit a statement of purpose that explains your academic goals in the program and three letters of recommendation. Those documents should be sent to email@example.com or via the mail service to:
Dr. Carol Atkinson
Coordinator of Graduate Studies
Department of Communication
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg MO 64093
Questions About the Program
Dr. Carol Atkinson