Substitute certificates are not required for any of the education degrees, but obtaining one will allow your background check to be good for four years instead of having to be renewed annually. Some districts do require a substitute certificate for field experience placement. If you applied for a substitute certificate through
DESE Web Applications, you will have already created an Educator Profile and will
not need to create a new one. If you have never applied for a substitute certificate, please
follow these steps to complete the application:
- Go to the DESE website, https://apps.dese.mo.gov/webLogin/login.aspx
- Click "Register” and complete the information requested
- Click "Create User"
- Click "Continue"
- Enter user name and password, click "Log In"
- Under User Information, click “Educator Certification System – Request Educator Access”
- In the “pop up” window, complete the information requested and click “yes or submit”
- Under Office of Educator Quality, click "Educator Certification System"
- Click "Submit"
- Click "Close"
- Click "Educator Certification System" on the left side of the screen
- Enter your SSN and date of birth, click "Submit"
- This will access the Educator Profile page
- Complete the information requested
- Click "Save Profile"
- This will access the personal information section of the Educator Profile
- Click "Edit Contact Information", and then enter your information
- Click "Save"
- Log off (on left side of screen)
After creating your educator profile, be sure to write down your user name and password.
You will use the same user name and password every time you need to access DESE Web