Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Educational Leadership and Human Development

Lovinger Building, Room 4101
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660-543-4341
Office Manager: Barb Hicks

Graduate Information

(Revised 7/7/10)

 It is the graduate student’s responsibility to:

Read and familiarize yourself with the Graduate Catalog you received when you applied for admission to the Graduate School and become knowledgeable of the requirements for the degree pursued.  School Administration majors can also refer to the Advising Handbook on the School Administration website, then click on Student Handbook.

Contact assigned faculty advisor (on pink copy of “Graduate Student Acceptance Form”) within first month following provisional admission.  Phone numbers and e-mail addresses of advisors are listed on acceptance form.

Submit documents noted on department letter of acceptance that are required to be sent to your advisor.  It is suggested that you submit these documents prior to or during the initial advising appointment. Special Education majors MUST submit GRE results (must achieve at least a score of 3 on the Analytical Writing section) prior to completion of 12 hours of courses towards degree--see GRE Registration info below.  Note-effective with the 2009 Graduate Catalog, School Administration majors are not required to take the GRE. IF your acceptance letter indicates the GRE is a requirement, please contact your graduate advisor for clarification.

File an official graduate program of study within first 12 graduate hours taken at UCM.

Know when to enroll: Enrollment for summer/fall takes place around mid-March and mid-October for spring. Please note that if a course time says TBA, you can find the time/dates in the course details on the Search for Courses link in the student portal. Go to, select Search for Courses, select Term, enter the prefix and the number.

Internship/Practicum You CANNOT enroll in any internship/practicum* on your own-it will be done through the department.

Instructions for Enrollment

*does not apply to College Student Personnel Administration majors.

Counselor Education majors: email Dr. Janelle Cowles at for permission to enroll in the practicum/internship.

Library Science and Information Services: email your advisor for permission.

School Administration majors:  Attend the Internship Orientation for information about the internships. The orientation for Fall Internship will be held during the summer session and the orientation for Spring will be held during the fall semester.  The summer internship is ONLY for those pursuing Superintendency. Check, then select Search for Courses, look up the prefix and number for information about the date & time of the orientation.

Special Education majors:  the Special Education Internship Proposal is in Blackboard, go to the Special Education Advising/Portfolio, click on Course Documents, click on Masters Program in SPED, then click on Internship Info.  Note:  All Internships are normally completed towards the end of your graduate program.   

Research Problems/Thesis:  Education Specialist students should contact their graduate advisor for information about enrolling in Research Problems (EDAD) or Thesis (Spec. Ed.)   

Be aware that no more than 9 hours may be transferred from another accredited university for a Masters degree and no more than 6 hours for an Ed. Spec. degree. These must be appropriate to your degree and approved by your faculty advisor.  Please submit a description of the course along with a copy of your course grade.  If approved, it is the student’s responsibility to have an official transcript sent to either the graduate office or the Registrar’s office.  Consult faculty advisor about where you need to have your transcript sent.

Be aware that no correspondence courses may be used on a degree or for endorsement.

Meet published deadlines for program submission and degree completion. During the first week of the last semester of courses, contact the Graduate Office (877-SAY-UCMO or 660-543-4621) to obtain Graduation paperwork and submit forms according to the deadlines.

Helpful hint-when corresponding with faculty/staff at the university, give your full name and Banner ID (700 number). If it concerns a course, include the course prefix/number and CRN.


Obtain a current copy of the GRE Information & Registration Bulletin from the Assessment and Testing Services office, Administration 102, UCM, phone number 660-543-4919, or, visit the GRE Web site at                              

Read the bulletin carefully for registration information. 

Counselor Education and Special Education majors take the GRE General Test. 

The GRE General Test is a computer-based test consisting of three sections: verbal, quantitative, and analytic essays. The GRE General Test is offered at computer-based test centers five–six days each week.  Using a credit card, registration and scheduling a test date can be made directly with a computer-based test center.  It is important to have your calendar with you to avoid a $50 charge to reschedule.  Test fees are listed on the back page of the information bulletin and on GRE’s web site.  Test fee waivers are available for those meeting ETS criteria; information is located in the bulletin and on the web site.  Contact Student Financial Services (660-543-8266, 877-SAY-UCMO, or to see if you qualify.

Graduate students at the University of Central Missouri are required to have an official score report on file in the Office of Assessment and Testing Services.  Official reports (reports mailed directly from ETS) can be requested free of charge at the time the test is taken.  There is a charge for requests made at a later date.  ETS maintains score records for only five years.  IMPORTANT DIRECTIONS TO FOLLOW At the test center, you will be asked to select a “score recipient agency/institution”.  On the pull down menu, select “University of Central Missouri” and either Counselor Education or Special Education. If you don't follow these instructions, the department will not be able to access your test scores.

Computer-based test centers (incomplete listing):

Columbia (MU) - 573/884-0911

Jefferson City - 573/761-3017

Kansas City (UMKC) - 816/235-1635

Lee’s Summit - 816/524-4495

Note:  The University of Central Missouri continually requests to be a computer-based test center.