Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content
Lovinger Building, Room 4101
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Office Manager: Barb Hicks
To be considered for admission to the Counselor Education Program, applicants must first be admitted to Graduate Studies and provide the Counselor Education Admissions and Standards Committee with a completed application file that contains:
1. A completed Counselor Education Application Form. Please note: the application packet that contains the items listed in steps 1, 4, 5, & 6 is emailed to prospective students upon receipt of their application from Graduate Studies.
2. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work from any post secondary educational or professional institution or any other school experience following high school. To be considered for eligibility, the applicant’s GPA must be 2.50 or higher in the total undergraduate course work, 2.75 or higher in the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work and 3.0 or higher for graduate course work. It is the applicant’s responsibility to request and ensure that all official transcripts are on file. Note-this step is completed through Graduate Studies as part of their application process.
3. As a part of the Counselor Education Program application process, applicants must submit official scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) taken within the last three years. Candidates with a minimum combined score of 295 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the examination, and a 3.5 or higher on the analytical writing measure are preferred. However, all GRE scores are considered in the context of application materials. Applicants who have completed a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution may petition the Admissions and Standards Committee for an exception to the GRE requirement. (See Requirements for Progression in the Program, item 2.)
4. A resume with complete listing of previous educational and employment experiences.
5. Three recommendations, prepared within the last three years, on the Counselor Education Program Recommendation Form. One recommendation should be from a certified or licensed mental health professional, or counselor educator. All recommendations must be from non-relative individuals who have direct knowledge of the applicant’s professional experience and can attest to the individual’s potential to work effectively as a counselor.
6. An articulate and satisfactory essay explaining the impact of previous employment and professional experiences upon the decision to apply to the counselor education program, reasons for seeking the Master of Science Degree or Education Specialist Degree and appropriate future professional goals in counseling.
7. Such other information as deemed necessary and requested of the applicant by the Admissions and Standards Committee.
8. To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must also meet all other requirements for admission to graduate study as outlined in the general requirements for graduate studies and all applicable department rules, policies and bulletins, which may be subject to change.
New Student Orientation/Handbook
CEP-Student Learning Outcomes
UCM Student Handbook
GRE Registration Information
Grad School Admission
Student Financial Services
Student Success Center