By Jeff Murphy, August 11, 2023
An important spot for students to get career preparation assistance, the Ward Edwards Building houses the Career and Life Design Center with its Walk-In Studio Experience (WISE) program and the Professional Clothing Center.
WARRENSBURG, MO – University of Central Missouri students who are looking for opportunities to network with business and industry professionals or seek internships and jobs should consider the UCM Career and Life Design Center’s fall 2023 offerings in addition to other services that support their professional development.
Located in Ward Edwards 1200, the UCM Career and Life Design Center is taking a hybrid approach to make possible five small, tailored events designed to support career readiness. Names, dates, times and locations for these activities are provided. Just click on the name of the event to link to the Handshake job search platform which is used for registration and will also host one of the virtual events. Although they may not be listed, employers also will host various events this fall offering students opportunities to connect with them. Events currently scheduled by the UCM Career and Life Design Center are:
● Construction, Design and Drafting, Engineering and Safety Job Fair – 1-4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20, UCM Student Recreation and Wellness Center, 500 S. Maguire St., Warrensburg, Mo.
● Careers in Computing and Cyber Security Networking Event – 4-6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 27, UCM Lee’s Summit at the Missouri Innovation Campus, 1101 Northwest Innovation Parkway, Lee’s Summit, Mo.
● Careers in Computing and Cyber Security Networking Event – 2-4 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 28, Elliott Student Union, 500 S. Holden St., Warrensburg, Mo.
● Agriculture Careers and Internships Fair – 2-4 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 3, Elliott Student Union, 500 S. Holden St., Warrensburg, Mo.
● All Majors Virtual Job and Internship Fair – 1-4 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 14. This online event is hosted by Handshake.
In addition to these events, throughout the academic year, the UCM Career and Life Design Center offers the Walk-In Studio Experience (WISE) in Ward Edwards 1200 from 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m.-noon, Friday, or students can visit virtually by calling 660-543-4985 to arrange an online appointment. WISE provides career readiness and life design-related coaching on matters such as career exploration and readiness, building career and life journeys, life design exploration, job and internship coaching, as well as document reviews of items such as resumes, cover letters, and personal statements, and opportunities to be coached on mock interviews. A career advisor also is available on an as-needed basis.
The Professional Clothing Center is part of WISE. A free service for all current UCM students, it provides an opportunity to select professional and business casual clothing for job fairs, interviews, networking and class presentations. Students work with a WISE coach to choose four items monthly from the studio which is open 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, or 9 a.m.-noon on Fridays only during the fall and spring semesters. Students who are in need of a professional headshot for resumes and other purposes can obtain one free of charge through Headshot Central, which is a service provided by the Professional Clothing Studio. No appointment is necessary.
To learn more about UCM Career and Life Design Center events and services, call 660-543-4985 or email email@example.com.