Accessibility Services


Dedicated to Students with Disabilities

The Office of Accessibility Services is dedicated to helping students with disabilities have equal opportunity at the University of Central Missouri. Each year UCM attracts more students with disabilities than any other university in Missouri. Students Choose Red because of our reputation for providing the student support services and accommodations they need to thrive at UCM. If you’re a student with a disability, we encourage you to contact Accessibility Services as soon as possible so that we can work together as you pursue success throughout your time at UCM.

The UCM campus is accessible, from accessible parking to curb cuts and elevators.

Advocating for You

Accessibility Services offers a variety of services and accommodations, from speech recognition software to sign language interpreters and note takers. You can count on our staff to advocate for you, from contacting your professors about accommodations to referring you to other agencies when necessary.


Accessibility Service Information

Service Areas

We provide services to students in these three service areas:

  1. Documented permanent or long-term disability: see Eligibility and Documentation of Disability below for complete explanations.
  2. Temporary Impairment: short-term conditions such as an injured limb or brief hospitalization. While this kind of condition is not a disability and is not protected by disability laws, our office is glad to work with you on certain accommodations during your recuperation.
  3. Pregnancy: this service is provided as part of our university's commitment to the rights and protections provided by Title IX.

Postsecondary education disability offices are not expected to provide personal services and equipment, such as: tutors, personal care attendants, campus guides or helpers to attend events, hearing aids, personal computers or similar equipment, or assistance with medication.  However, if these services are being provided to students without disabilities, then they need to be provided in an accessible manner to students with disabilities.


To be eligible for academic accommodations at the University of Central Missouri you must have a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and be enrolled in one or more hours of study in UCM courses. 

The Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act provides for equal opportunity to persons with disabilities.  To be protected under the ADA, you must be determined to: 

  1. have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; or 
  2. have a record of such an impairment; or 
  3. be regarded as having such an impairment. 

If a disability exists, reasonable appropriate accommodations are determined to create equal opportunity.

Documentation of Disability

The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) operates under the mandate of federal disability law, which includes the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The law provides that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity for post secondary education. Under the law, the definition of "disability" requires that the impairment be a permanent or long-term physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, including education.

OAS provides academic accommodations to University of Central Missouri students with disabilities. Accommodations are those measures which are reasonable and appropriate and will aid in providing an equal educational opportunity for the student.

The law requires the student to provide appropriate documentation of the disability if the student wants to implement accommodations. 

Appropriate documentation of the disability would indicate:

  • an appropriate, professional source, and on that person's letterhead; 
  • the diagnosis of the impairment;
  • how the characteristics of the impairment appear in this individual;
  • how those characteristics substantially limit one or more major life activity;
  • and, if possible, indicate accommodations that would be appropriate.
For additional information on documentation and other post-secondary issues, review the Missouri Association of Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) College Guidebook. 

Frequently Used Accommodations

Below are some commonly used accomodations; you will work with an OAS staff person to determine your specific accomodations.

In the Classroom:

  • Alternative seating
  • Calculator for math classes or activites
  • Closed caption and/or descriptive audio for videos or films
  • Computer during class
  • Extended time for in-class projects
  • May need to move, stand, or leave the room during class (unobtrusively)
  • Note taker (when student is in class unless excused absence)
  • Text in alternative format: data audio, Braille, large print, etc

For Studying and Exams:

  • Enlarged font for handouts, exams, etc.
  • Copy of instructor's notes if available
  • Handouts provided electronically
  • Recorded lectures
  • Spell check/grammar check
  • Reader and/or scribe for exams
  • Extended time for tests

In Campus Housing

  • Wheelchair or mobility accessibility
  • Disability parking tag (must have UCM parking pass)
  • Registered emotional support animal or service animal

 Around Campus:

  • Early enrollment
  • Elevator access: daily use, and/or upper level classrooms moved if elevator out of order for a lengthy period
  • Public Safety needed in exiting a UCM building in time of emergency
  • Sign language interpreter for UCM-sponsored events
  • Testing available at OAS or UCM-Lee's Summit
  • Testing in a private/distraction-reduced environment
  • Transcriptionist/typist for UCM-sponsored events
  • Wheelchair/scooter/mobility accessibility for class field trips, internships, etc.

Did you know?  Word and Excel, as well as Apple applications, have read-aloud features built in to their design.  

Responsibilities of the Student

Unlike in grades K-12, you will need to arrange for your services as a university student. You will contact OAS, provide documentation of your disability, and request services.

Due to your right of confidentiality, OAS does not take action on your behalf unless you request or authorize it. Each semester you will contact OAS again to renew services for the new semester.


You must complete this FERPA form in order for our office to work with you on accommodations.  Bring your completed form to your first meeting at our office.

If you are interested in requesting an Emotional Support Animal as an accommodation, complete this form and bring it with you to your first meeting at our office. Please also read this document from University Housing regarding Emotinal Support Animals.

When you meet with an accessibility professional in our office there may be other forms to complete.

Scholarships for Students with Disabilities

There are many scholarships available to both new and current UCM students, including these specifically for students with disabilities.

All UCM scholarships are available through the one-stop portal MoCents, part of the UCM Alumni Foundation.

  1. Thelma French Kappleman Scholarship (Current UCM students)
  2. Thelma French Kappleman Scholarship (Incoming freshman students)
  3. David Cogswell Memorial Award (Students with disabilities returning for additional education or for graduate school)
  4. Marjorie Curtis Jones Scholarship (Students with physical or vision impairments)

Search for these scholarships at MoCents.

Getting Started

To begin the process of requesting accommodations through our office, please call the OAS offfice at 660-543-4421. Please be ready to provide as much information as possible, including any documentation you already have.


The Office of Accessibility Services is dedicated to providing persons with disabilities equal access to the functions and facilities of the University of Central Missouri. We are committed to providing students with disabilities services and accommodations to achieve equal opportunity to education and other student activities.


Office of Accessibility Services
Elliott Union 224
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Tel: (660) 543-4421
Fax: (660) 543-4724


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram