"What Can I Do With a Major in...Social Studies?"
The graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in Social Studies will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Explain the methodologies and themes of the disciplines comprising the social sciences.
- Write competency-based objectives that state the learning and performance outcomes expected of secondary school students.
- Apply content learned in university social science courses to develop social studies lessons based upon NCSS (National Council for the Social Studies) themes for secondary school students.
Plan, develop, and write a complete social studies teaching unit for social science courses taught at the secondary school level.
- Demonstrate through the use of questioning strategies and learning activities the ability to teach higher order thinking skills.
- Present controversial issues to secondary school students so that different points of view are properly represented and fairly evaluated.
US Dept. of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos069.htm
Related Career Titles
9-12 Social Studies Teacher
Related Job Listings/ Job Search Website
Central Career Network - http://ucmo-csm.symplicity.com/students
Regional Education Applicant & Placement Program - www.moreap.net
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education - http://dese.mo.gov
National Teacher Recruitment Clearinghouse - www.recruitingteachers.org/channels/clearinghouse
Success Link - www.successlink.org
Jobs For Educators in Missouri Schools - www.moteachingjobs.com
Agent K-12 - www.agentk-12.org
K12Jobs.com - www.k12jobs.com
Jobsinschool.com - www.jobsinschools.com
Student Missouri State Teachers Association (UCM) - www.ucmo.edu/orgrequest/orgview.cfm?caorgID=161
Student Missouri National Education Association (UCM) - www.ucmo.edu/orgrequest/orgview.cfm?caorgID=32
National Council for the Social Studies - www.ncss.org
National Council on Economic Education - www.ncee.net
Missouri State Teachers Association - www.msta.org
Missouri National Education Association - www.mnea.org
Four-Year Academic Plan
Career Library Resources
101 Career Alternatives for Teachers
Careers in Focus - Education
Opportunities in Teaching Careers
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Office of Career Services by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me
Career Development Coordinator