Open Calendar


Click to print this page

State Authorizations

Higher Education is required to oversee the delivery of postsecondary distance education across state lines. The National Council - State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) is a voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories. This agreement provides national standards for interstate, ensuring acceptance of an out of state degree. This agreement is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.



How Far Does NC-SARA Reach?

To date, 49 states (excluding California), the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands have membership in NC-SARA.

The University of Central Missouri is in compliance with all 50 states to offer undergraduate online degree completion programs and graduate online programs.

Note This information is subject to change. If you have concerns or questions, please contact Online & Learning Engagement at or call 1-660-543-4984.

Graduation Cap

Professional Licensure Requirements

UCM is required to provide students, pursuing a degree which will lead to a professional licensure and are planning to practice outside of the state of Missouri, with information on whether our degree program meets requirements for the state you may consider practicing in outside of the state of Missouri. If our program does not meet your states requirements we are required to provide that information to you as soon as we become aware of that situation. We are in the process of collecting this information, for each of our professional degree programs, and will provide updates to this web page and to all students within the program via email. Until that process is completed please review the listing of the more common licensure boards. Below is a listing of UCM degree programs which may lead to a professional licensure:

- Accountancy (Graduate)
- Art Education (Undergraduate)
- Behavior Analysis (Graduate): Behavior Analysis Therapy, Applied Behavior Analysis Option
- Behavior Analysis (Graduate): Autism Spectrum Option
- Counseling (Graduate)
- Career & Technology Teacher Education (Undergraduate)
- Educational Leadership (Graduate)
- Elementary Education (Undergraduate)
- Elementary Education Early Childhood (Undergraduate)
- German K-12 Educator (Undergraduate)
- Human Services and Family Science (Graduate) (For students pursuing MFT specialization)
- Library Science & Information Services (Graduate)
- Literacy Education (Graduate)
- Masters of Arts in Teaching (Graduate)
- Middle - Jr High School Education (Undergraduate)
- Music Education (Undergraduate)
- Nursing (Undergraduate)
- Nursing (Graduate) - Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Specialty
- Physical Education (Option 1) (Undergraduate)
- Secondary Education (Undergraduate)
- Social Work (Undergraduate)
- Spanish K-12 Educator (Undergraduate)
- Special Education (Undergraduate)
- Speech-Language Pathology (Graduate)

Admin Assistant

NC-SARA -Complaint Resolution

One of NC-SARA membership requirements is for institutions of higher learning to provide a student compliant resolution process that is in addition to the university process. Below is information about both processes.

We want you to have the best educational experience possible in your time as a student with the University of Central Missouri. However, if you have a compliant, follow the steps listed below:

- The first step for a student is to file a complaint or appeal with UCM.

- An undergraduate student may appeal a decision related to any policy stated in the UCM Student Handbook. The process for various types of appeals is outlined in the document. For further assistance, please contact Online and Learning Engagement at 660-543-4984 or

- All students may appeal grades issued by instructors and accusations of academic dishonesty. The procedures for both are in the UCM Student Handbook Complaints/appeals about grades or conduct will be resolved at the institutional level. Missouri Department of Higher Education and/or NC-SARA portal authorities will not address these issues. However, students who have exhausted all informal and formal institutional processes to resolve disputes may file a complaint with the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development

For Distance Learning Programs: 


Complaints about UCM distance learning programs go first through the institution's standard procedure for resolution of student grievances. If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process and the home state is a member of NC-SARA (all states except California), the student can contact the Missouri Portal Authority:

Joshua Fischer
State Portal Entity
Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development
310 W. High Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469
Phone: (573) 522-1377
Fax: (573) 751-6635

Additionally, nothing precludes the student from contacting the appropriate complaint agencies in their state of residence.  Students residing in California and participating in a distance learning program or course must contact their state agency if they are not satisfied with the institutions response to their compliant/appeal.

NOTE: Although students may choose to work through their own state's SARA office for complaint resolution, the SARA office of the state where the provider is located is responsible for staffing the investigation and complaint resolution as needed.

Admin Building

UCM Operational Policy

Attached is the approved operational policy for Out of State Educational Activities.  This policy provides definitions, scope, and deadlines to meet UCMs continued membership with the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA).

Operational Policy


State Authorization

Online & Learning Engagement
Tel: (660) 543-4984
Fax: (660) 543-8333


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram