Open Calendar


Click to print this page

Harmon College Of Business and Professional Studies - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Feel free to reach out to us with your questions and concerns.  The Harmon College wants to ensure that you are properly informed of resources and assistance available for student success.

What is the Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies?

The Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies is one of four academic colleges at the University of Central Missouri. The HCBPS is comprised of two schools. Programs in the School of Business Administration include Accounting, Computer Information Systems and Analytics, Economics, Finance, International Business, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise, Management, and Public Relations. Programs in the School of Professional Studies include Aviation, Criminal Justice, Crisis and Disaster Management, Communication Disorders, Social Work, and Military Science and Leadership.

How long will it take to graduate?

Students can graduate in four years by taking 14-16 credit hours per semester. Incoming students who successfully average 15 credit hours per semester have the opportunity to earn a 15-to-Finish Scholarship their senior year.

Are the programs in the Harmon College accredited?

Yes. The Harmon College business programs are currently accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business , an accreditation earned by less than 5 percent of the world's business schools. In addition, many of the programs within the HCBPS including Accounting, Aviation, Computer Information Systems, Public Relations, Social Work, and Speech Language Pathology hold individual accreditation status.  

Accreditation offers students and parents assurance that the program has been evaluated and has met or exceeded acceptable standards for the profession. Schools and programs that are accredited agree to uphold standards of quality and quality improvement.

Are internships available?

Yes.  Some programs require an internship, while other programs, such as Communication Disorders and Social Work, require a practicum.

Regardless of whether they are required, internships offer two valuable functions for students. First, internships provide students with hands-on training and the opportunity to apply concepts learned in the classroom to real-world situations. Second, an internship can be used to fulfill elective requirements. To earn course credit, the internship must first be approved by the Harmon College internship office.

Is it necessary to get involved in student organizations?

 The Harmon College offers numerous opportunities for students to get involved with their peers outside of the classroom. Each academic department within the college sponsors one or more student organizations to enhance the educational experience of students. Student organizations within the Harmon College facilitate networking with other students and are a source for future job opportunities.

What is the difference between "declaring" a major and being admitted into a degree program?

Declaring a major simply means you intend to pursue a certain degree or major. Admission into a program occurs when you have completed the appropriate application material. Only after you have been “admitted” into the program will you be able to register for 3000-level (upper division) courses.

All Bachelor of Science in Business Administration majors, as well as the Social Work and Speech Language Pathology programs have separate admission processes and standards.

1600 Ward Edwards



  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram