By Mike Greife, April 15, 2016
WARRENSBURG, MO – Josephine Diekemper, a dietetics major from Springfield, and David Rogers, a political science and international studies major from Warrensburg, recently were named the 2016 recipients of the University of Central Missouri’s prestigious Charno Award.
The award is presented annually to the top male and female member of the graduating class at UCM. Diekemper and Rogers were recognized during a reception and ceremony April 14 in UCM’s Elliott Student Union.
Diekemper, the daughter of Michael and Rennie Diekemper of Springfield, has served as a volunteer for the Warrensburg Senior Center, the UCM Campus Cupboard and the UCM blood drives. She served in leadership roles for a variety of campus organizations, including vice president of Rho Lambda, treasurer of the Panhellenic Hall Council, vice president, secretary and historian of Student Dietetics Association, and vice president of alumnae and heritage for Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority.
Rogers, the son of Jack and Christine Rogers of Warrensburg, is a member of Students for Political Action, The Honors College Student Association, and Pre-Law Student Association. He also served as vice president of Pi Sigma Alpha, philanthropy chair of Phi Kappa Delta, captain of the UCM Mock Trial Team, and vice president of Sigma Pi fraternity. During the 2015-2016 school year, he served as president of the UCM Student Government Association.
While in high school, Rogers was elected governor of the American Legion Missouri Boys State in 2011, and throughout his college career he has served as a supplemental instructor, counselor, and president of the Johnson County chapter of the Missouri Boys State Alumni Association.
Diekemper and Rogers will be recognized and honored at spring 2016 commencement ceremony.
The Charno Award is named for George Charno, Sr., a Kansas City attorney who established the award in 1940 to recognize the outstanding male member of the graduating class. The companion award for the outstanding female class member was established in 1941.