Open Calendar
A number of students exit a building on campus in summer.


Click to print this page



F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study.  You must maintain legal F-1- or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.

Definition of On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment includes work done as a graduate assistant as well as jobs in the JCKL library, UCM dining facilities, Elliot Student Union, Student Recreation and Wellness Center and administrative offices.

"On-campus" also includes employment with on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as stores or restaurants located in a University owned building.


  • You must be enrolled in a full course of study during the academic year.
  • You may not work more than 20 hours per week on campus during the academic year.
  • You may work full-time on campus during vacation periods.
  • You may not engage in 'on-campus' employment after completing the requirements for your degree.
  • You are not eligible for the UCM work-study program. Under the work-study program a percentage of a student's earnings are paid through U.S. federal or state funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer. 


  • Earn money.
  • List work experience on your resume.
  • Meet new people and make friends.
  • Develop communication skills and various other skills.
  • Develop time management skills.
  • Obtain contacts for recommendation letters and personal references for future employment or education. 
  • Experience the American work culture.

Where to look

Helpful tips

  • Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.
  • Be confident.
  • Practice answering questions employers might ask.
  • Dress professionally.

After getting a job

Social Security: A social security card is only necessary for students seeking employment on campus. You may apply for a social security number after you have acquired a job by following these steps:

  1. Obtain a letter from the employer indicating the terms of employment and email it to
  2. Complete the Social Security Letter Request form available on the Forms Page.
  3. Pick up the letter prepared by Graduate and International Student Services.
  4. Take this letter, the letter from your employer and your immigration documents to the Social Security Office to apply for the Social Security number.

You will receive you Social Security card at the home address used on the application; take the number to your employer. 


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram