Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content
Administration Building, Room 315
Warrensburg, MO 64093
13. Grants are made to University of Central Missouri, not individuals.
12. Use Banner Self-Service for an easy, real time status review of your budget.
11. Advise your supervisor of your proposed project.
10. Indirect costs are a good thing for the university.
9. We change labor distributions for employees who work on grants.
8. Be prepared for unplanned costs (fringe benefits, vacation payout, etc.).
7. Use all your resources (Funder, Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity, and Banner).
6. Cash cost share will be transferred from your departmental budget.
5. Last minute applications are a real problem for our staff.
4. Grant expenses should not be paid from department budgets.
3. Approval is required before a proposal can be submitted; plan ahead. UCM has designated, per federal guidelines, an Authorized Organizational Representative, who can approve proposal submissions.
2. PI’s (Principal Investigators) are responsible for the allowability of expenses incurred on their project. There is no pool of UCM money to cover "errors" - the department/college will be the source for unreimbursed expenses.
1. Seek help - early and often from the Office of Sponsored Programs
Yes. Please do not submit directly to funding agencies or to contract sponsors. The Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity must review and approve all funding requests prior to submission to any type of funding agency. The Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity has the final signature authority for all types of external funding as these are legal agreements between the university and an external entity. This includes grants, contracts, subcontracts, clinical trial agreements, fellowships, and cooperative agreements.
When you apply for external funds, allow enough time for the review and approval by first, your department, and then the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity. Work with your department to determine the time required to review and approve your project. The Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity needs at least five business days to process your application and submit it to the funding agency.
As a Principal Investigator, you are held responsible and accountable for managing all aspects of your research, including the financial obligations. Your application for funds must reflect good judgment, scientific and financial integrity. To this end, you will be expected to
If you have never had a grant before at UCM and you are not a budget manager for any other unit, you should request Finance Access through Accounting Services by completing and submitting the form found here .
You can look up your budget balance by entering your grant code, fund code, and organization code in Banner Self-Service. Contact the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity and we will be glad to walk you through this process. The Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity will also send to you a report during the first week of each month that provides budget summary information. Please note that Banner is live data, so every time something is processed in Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Procurement, etc., it will affect your available budget instantaneously. So, any report you receive could be ‘out of date’ within minutes.
The web reports created by Accounting Services may not be completely accurate on your grant. These reports run on a fiscal year basis, and if your grant crosses fiscal years the information will not be complete. However, the Transaction Detail report will contain accurate monthly detail as will the Labor Detail report.
It's important to work with the Office of Sponsored Programs regarding cash cost share. Specific account codes have been developed to record cash cost share.
Cash cost share consists of any purchase where UCM pays the bill, including salaries. Once a project has been funded by an external agency and has cash cost share, arrangements will be made to reduce the departmental budget. For salaries, the labor distribution for an employee will be updated to reflect work on the grant and funds will be moved from the departmental budget to cover the expense. This allows for all costs of an externally funded project to be accounted for in the budget set up for the project.
Do not hesitate to contact the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity staff, 660-543-4264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.