Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

150plus Academic Programs
Visit the University of Central Missouri
95 percent of graduates feel prepared for the workforce.
15-To-Finish Scholarship
15-To-Finish Scholarship


Federal TEACH Grant Program

The 2007 College Cost Reduction and Access Act created the Federal TEACH (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education) Grant program.

What Is The TEACH Grant Program?

Due to sequestration, the TEACH program provides grants of up to $3736 per year to new and continuing undergraduate and graduate students who promise to teach full-time for at least 4 years in public or private secondary schools designated as serving students from low-income families (Title I).

Do I Have To Teach A Certain Subject?

Yes. You must agree to teach one or more of the designated 'teacher shortage/high need’ subject areas. Currently, these areas are mathematics, science, special education, bilingual education/English language acquisition, foreign language and Reading Specialist.

How Do I Know Which Schools Are Title I?

Approved elementary and secondary schools which serve low-income students may be found by searching Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory.

How Much Are TEACH Grants?

An eligible student pursuing a first bachelor degree, a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program, a masters degree, or an education specialist degree may receive a total of up to $3736 per 12-month award year (fall semester, spring semester and summer session). The maximum total grant that may be received for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate study is $16,000. For graduate study, a total of $8000 in TEACH Grant funds may be received.

Can I Receive TEACH Grant For A Summer Session?

It depends. You may be considered for grant funds for a summer session if you didn't receive the full $3736 maximum annual award during the preceding fall and/or spring semesters.

How Do I Apply For A TEACH Grant?

To be considered for grant funding for the 2017 fall semester, 2018 spring semester and/or 2018 summer session, complete and submit the 2017/2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, be sure to print off, complete and submit the Federal TEACH Grant Request form.

Can I Receive TEACH Grant Aid To Pursue A 2nd Degree?

No.  A student may not receive a TEACH Grant to pursue a second bachelors or second masters degree.

Do I Have To Sign An Agreement To Serve?

Yes.  After submitting the TEACH Grant Request and being approved for the TEACH Grant aid, each year you are required to complete and sign the on-line Agreement to Serve. This agreement specifies the requirements that must be met as a condition of receiving the grant. Signing the agreement acknowledges your full understanding of these requirements.

What Are The Requirements?

You must promise to teach full-time in a ‘teacher-shortage/high-need’ subject area (2017/18) for at least four (4) academic years at a Title I-designated public or private elementary or secondary school within the eight (8) calendar years immediately following completion of the degree or certification program for which you received the TEACH Grant funds. As of March 2015, the shortage regions for the State of Missouri are extremely limited. In order to fulfill your teaching obligations, you must teach in these locations. This list changes yearly and may be different at the time of your certification.

What Happens If I Don't (or Cannot) Meet The Teaching Service Requirement?

This is very important! If you fail to complete the required four (4) years of obligated teaching service, you’ll be required to repay all the TEACH Grant funds you received in the form of Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan aid, and interest will be charged/accrued from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.

Are There Academic Requirements To Receive A TEACH Grant For the First Time?

Yes.  An entering freshman student must have on file with UCM a composite ACT score of 24 or better or a high school transcript indicating a cumulative high school grade point average of at least 3.25 (on a 4.00 scale).  A continuing undergraduate UCM student or an entering undergraduate transfer student must have a cumulative grade-point average of a 3.25 or better.  An entering graduate student must have on file with UCM a GRE score (Verbal and Quantitative combined) of 1260 or better or a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of at least 3.25 (on a 4.00 scale).  In addition, to continue receiving TEACH Grant funds, undergraduate and graduate students must maintain a cumulative grade-point average of 3.25 or better, which will be verified at the completion of each semester and summer term.

Are There Other Requirements?

Yes.  Each semester you receive TEACH Grant funds, the classes you’ve enrolled for will be reviewed to verify that they're reasonable, appropriate, and necessary to permit you to teach in the subject area(s) you’ve elected to pursue.  In addition, if you enroll less-than full-time, the amount of your TEACH Grant award will be pro-rated downward in accordance with the exact number of credit hours.

What If I Have Questions Or Need Clarification?

Contact the UCM Office of Student Financial Services in person (1100 Ward Edwards Bldg.), by telephone (660-543-8266), or on-line.