Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content


Graduate Student Financial Assistance
2011/2012 School Year

The UCM Office of Student Financial Services is pleased to assist graduate students who wish to be considered for financial assistance to help them pay the educational and living expenses they'll incur to attend the University of Central Missouri. To help smooth the application process, you're encouraged to follow these steps:

  1. To qualify for federal aid for graduate study, you must be fully admitted by the UCM Office of Graduate Studies and your UCM academic department to a masters or education specialist degree program offered by UCM. Individuals classified as 'visiting' or 'non-degree' graduate students, students taking classes in order to be fully admitted, and students pursuing one of the UCM on-line Graduate Certificate programs, are ineligible to receive federal aid. Verification of your full admission to a UCM graduate degree program is obtained by the Office of Student Financial Services to finalize your federal aid application process.

  2. Complete and submit a 2011/2012 FAFSA, available after January 1, 2011. Your FAFSA should be submitted prior to April 1, 2011 for you to be considered an 'on-time' applicant . The 2011/2012 FAFSA is used to apply for federal financial aid for the 2011 Fall semester, 2012 Spring semester and also is needed for you to be considered for 2012 Summer Session assistance. The FAFSA may be submitted throughout the 2011/2012 school year, however, February and March of 2011 are the best months to complete the FAFSA (you'll still be considered an 'on-time' applicant). A 2011/2012 FAFSA can be accepted by the national FAFSA processing agency until June 30, 2012.

  3. A graduate student is eligible to qualify for Federal Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan and Work-Study employment. However, federal law prohibits graduate students from receiving Federal Pell Grant, SEOG Grant and PLUS Loan, nor are they permitted to receive most types of assistance available through the State of Missouri.

  4. A student fully admitted to a UCM graduate degree program is always considered an independent federal financial aid applicant, even through the student may be claimed on a parent’s 2010 federal income tax return (or even be living with a parent).Therefore, parental income and asset information should not be listed on a graduate applicant’s 2011/2012 FAFSA.

  5. Watch your email account for the acknowledgments that will be sent to you by the national FAFSA processing agency and by UCM shortly after your FAFSA is submitted. Review your FAFSA data carefully. Make any corrections to your FAFSA information in accordance with the instructions you'll be provided.

  6. Approximately 35% of all federal aid applicants are selected by the U.S. Department of Education each year to have their 2011/2012 FAFSA data verified. If chosen (you'll be notified by UCM), carefully complete and submit to the Office of Student Financial Services the required Independent Student Verification Worksheet with photocopies of the signed 2010 federal tax return(s) and W-2 statement(s) that will also be requested.

  7. The total cost of attending UCM is very reasonable. Therefore, the maximum total ‘package’ of assistance a graduate student can receive for the 9-month 2011/12 school year (including student loans, Work-Study earnings, graduate tuition scholarships, etc.) normally will not exceed $16,000 for a student who pays fees as a Missouri resident (or approximately $21,000 for a non-resident of Missouri).

  8. Watch your email account. You'll be notified by the UCM Office of Student Financial Services with instructions how to access and respond to (at your MyCentral Portal) the types of assistance you'll qualify to receive for the 2011/2012 school year.

  9. If you're borrowing Stafford Loan assistance for the first time at UCM, you must also complete federal 'entrance' counseling by clicking here.

  10. If you'll be borrowing Federal Stafford Loan assistance for the first time at UCM, complete your on-line Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) by clicking here.

  11. Please read and respond to all mailed and emailed correspondence you receive from UCM. If you're unsure about what to do or how to respond, let us know.

  12. Full-time enrollment (9 or more graduate credit hours per semester) is required for a graduate student to receive Perkins Loan and Work-Study employment assistance. Half-time enrollment (4 or more graduate hours per semester) is required to receive Stafford Loan assistance. A graduate student enrolled less than half-time (1, 2 or 3 graduate hours) does not qualify to receive any federal aid.

  13. If you're receiving a teaching, research or administrative assistantship, federal regulations require that the total dollar amount of your tuition scholarship be taken into account when calculating your eligibility for federal financial aid. The amount of your monthly stipend, however, does not impact your 2011/2012 federal aid eligibility.

  14. Are you experiencing processing delays or problems? Perhaps you have extenuating family financial, or personal circumstances you believe may impact your federal financial aid eligibility. If so, stop by the Office of Student Financial Services during regular office hours to visit with a Financial Aid Officer. You may contact the office by phone (660-543-8266) or on-line.

  15. Receive your money! Credit balance funds from Stafford Loan and Perkins Loan disbursements and any grants or scholarships are direct-deposited during the second week of classes each semester.

  16. Need more information? A helpful financial aid guide, Financing Graduate Education, is available from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.

    Your Responsibilities