Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that all federal aid recipients make satisfactory progress toward the completion of their academic programs. What this means is that all continuing undergraduate, graduate, and post-baccalaureate students who wish to receive federal grant, loan or employment aid must meet the following academic standards.. Please be advised that this policy does not impact the financial aid eligibility of any student who is entering UCM.

  1. You must successfully complete at least 2/3 of the total hours you enroll for at UCM.. Successful completion of credit hours means earning grades of A, B, C, D, or P. Unsuccessful completion of credit hours means earning grades of U, F, W, WF, or NC.


    If you were enrolled at UCM for a combined total of 27 credit hours during the Fall and Spring semesters, you must successfully complete at least 18 (2/3) of these hours.

    If you were enrolled for 6 credit hours for the Summer Session, 12 credit hours during the Fall semester, and 15 hours during the Spring semester, you must successfully complete at least 22 (2/3) of the 33 total hours.

  2. A student as of the completion of the Spring semester must also have a 2.0 or better cumulative grade-point average. A graduate student must have a 3.0 or better graduate cumulative grade-point average at that time.

  3. You may receive federal aid for up to (but not exceeding) the maximum number of credit hours reasonably needed to complete your program at UCM, as follows. UCM and accepted transfer credit hours, as well as all repeated classes, are counted in the determination of the following maximum total hours.

Shortly after completion of each Spring semester, the UCM Office of Student Financial Services will determine whether or not each FAFSA applicant has met the above standards. Failure to meet any standard will cause a 'hold' to be placed on an applicants's financial aid eligibility for the following school year (including any assistance that has already been offered). If you have extreme circumstances that led to your suspension, you may appeal in writing to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Documentation of your situation is mandatory and must be included in your appeal.

Important: Please be aware that the federal financial aid Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress are separate and distinct from the UCM policies governing academic probation, suspension, and dismissal, as well as any 'satisfactory academic progress' regulations that may be required as a part of receiving state and scholarship assistance.