Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

150plus Academic Programs
Visit the University of Central Missouri
95 percent of graduates feel prepared for the workforce.
15-To-Finish Scholarship
15-To-Finish Scholarship


2018 Summer Financial Aid

Beginning with the Summer 2018 term, if eligible, you can receive an additional Pell Grant disbursement equal to a full semester amount (if in 12 hours) or half (if in 6 hours). If you are enrolled in less than 6 hours in the Summer, you can only use your remaining eligibility (if any) from 2017-2018. The awarded amount will be based on either your 2017-18 FAFSA or 2018-19 FAFSA, whichever is greater. The actual amount will be set at the time of awarding for the Summer. If the 2018-19 FAFSA has not been filed, you will be awarded from the 2017-18 FAFSA. This additional Pell Grant disbursement will count against your lifetime limit.

Be sure to carefully read the following information before you submit your Summer Application from the Student Services tab in MyCentral. It is very important that you understand this information.

To Be Considered for Summer Financial Aid

To be considered for federal aid for the 2018 Summer Session, the data from your 2017/2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to be on file with the University of Central Missouri. If you've not yet done so, submit a 2017/2018 FAFSA to UCM (002454) as soon as possible at Please be aware that the national FAFSA processing agency cannot accept a 2017/2018 FAFSA after June 30, 2018. In addition, you must also submit the 2018 Summer Session Request for Federal Financial Aid (available at MyCentral in early March). The Summer Request (available in early March) is at the bottom of the page on the Student Services tab in MyCentral. Please carefully review the following information before you click on the link to submit your Request for Federal Financial Aid.

After your Summer Application has been reviewed by the UCM Office of Student Financial Services, the summer assistance offered will be posted at your MyCentral portal for you to accept. Click on "Financial Aid Status" under UCM Financial Aid and submit "Award Year 2017/2018"). This should occur within 2 weeks after you submit your Request for Federal Financial Aid.

Types of Federal Aid


The types of federal aid expected (but not guaranteed) to be available for the 2018 Summer Session (which is actually the third term of the 2017/2018 award year), include PLUS (parent) Loan, Pell Grant (if you're otherwise eligible), Stafford (student) Loan (if its determined that you have remaining eligibility from the current 2017/2018 school year), and part-time employment. You can find additional information about the available types of aid on the "Applying for Aid" page under your grade level.

Requirements to Receive Federal Aid


In accordance with federal aid regulations, please be aware that you must enroll for and attend the following minimum total number of summer credit hours. These hours can be taken at any time throughout the 2018 Summer Session:

  • Pell Grant - at least one (1) undergraduate hour, in certain circumstances. However, most students
    (if otherwise eligible) will need to enroll for six (6) or more undergraduate hours.
  • Stafford Loan – at least six (6) undergraduate hours or at least four (4) graduate hours.
  • Work-Study – at least six (6) undergraduate hours or at least four (4) graduate hours.
  • PLUS Loan - at least six (6) undergraduate hours.

Very Important! If you enroll for 2018 Summer Session credit hours, receive financial assistance, but then drop one or more of your classes, some (or even all) of the summer assistance that was credited to your UCM account may have to be reversed from your account, depending on the start date of the class(es) dropped and/or the last date you attended/participated in the class(es). Therefore, be sure to enroll only for the summer classes you plan to attend and participate in, and that are required for completion of your degree/certification program .

Application of Federal Aid to Student Account


Your grant and/or loan assistance will be scheduled to credit your UCM account after your summer classes begin. The UCM Office of Student Financial Services will then provide you (by direct-deposit to your personal bank account or by a mailed UCM check) any credit balance funds remaining after your total summer charges have been satisfied. Please realize, however, that your credit balance cannot be released until after the first day of the first summer class for which you're enrolled.

Non-Degree or Visiting Students


If you’ll be classified a Non-Degree or Visiting student at UCM for the 2018 Summer Session, federal financial aid regulations prevent you from receiving any aid from UCM. For example, if your home school during the regular school year is Rhode Island State University, financial aid cannot be received from UCM (your host school) during the summer. In accordance with federal rules, a student must be fully admitted to a degree (or teaching certificate) program at UCM to qualify for assistance. In addition, for a continuing UCM student (one enrolled at UCM during the 2017 Fall semester and/or 2018 Spring semester) to receive summer financial aid, (s)he must also have met the 2017/2018 Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (checked in May after 2018 Spring Semester grades have been posted).

Questions? Contact the UCM Office of Student Financial Services in person or by mail (1100 Ward Edwards Bldg.), by telephone (660-543-8266) or on-line (go to Summer office hours are 7:30 am. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

UCM Administration Building