As a Dance Minor student at UCM, you’ll have numerous opportunities to grow your skills and participate in our production program. Dance opportunities include our Main Stage musicals, the Spring Dance Concert, Black Box dance productions, the Department of Music opera, as well as participating in guest artist workshops, end of semester dance class showcases, the UCM Dance Club's annual presentation of Dancing With The Professors, and the American College Dance Association. In 2020, UCM became an Institutional Member of the National Dance Educators Organization and began a National Honor Soceity of Dance Arts UCM Chapter.
This 22-hour minor has classes in Modern, Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Musical Theatre Dance, Choreography, and other departmental core classes and electives. You'll be taught by Ashley Miller-Scully, our BFA Musical Theatre program coordinator and faculty choreographer, as well as Amy Gilchirst, Adjunct Instructor for Ballet I and Ballet II. Your participation in the classroom, the production program and attending guest artist workshops and regional conferences wil increase your knowledge and skill, and give you multiple performance opportunities.
At UCM, we value engaging learning experiences that include student involvement and service-learning projects. Involvement opportunities include:
● Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF)
● American College Dance Association (ACDA)
● Speech and Theatre Association of Missouri (STAM)
● United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT)
● Southeast Theatre Conference (SETC)
● U/RTA Auditions and Portfolio Reviews
●Theta Alpha Phi (TAP - Honorary Theatre Fraternity)
● National Honor Society for Dance Arts (NHSDA)
● UCM Dance Club
● Film Makers And Actors' Coalition
The Theatre Special Housing Interest Program area in Nickerson Hall is designed for students minoring in or majoring in theatre. This SHIP provides close proximity to the department’s Black Box Theatre, a lounge to rehearse lines and blocking, a fully equipped dance studio and access to dining facilities.
● UCM Main Stage Production Program
● Spring Dance Concert
● Dance Class Showcase - end of each semester
● Studio Theatre One-Act Series
● Richard Herman Black Box Theatre Program
● UCM Dance Club
● Dancing With The Professors
● Opera Theatre