February 21, 2012
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
February 21, 2012
Building Stronger Programs and Departments
Members Present: Richard Herman, John Louder, Don Melichar, Jack Rogers, Steven Moore, Michael Sekelsky, Michael Sawyer, Eric Tenbus, Steven Boone, Michelle Magee, and Dean Nelson.
1. On-going Issues:
- Program Promotion: Vicki is working on a meeting to be set up with the departments needing direction for program promotion needs; Ideas discussed included providing postcard type fliers for distribution at big events and more detailed information available for students/guests visiting the campus. Music has also created an email database and utilizes an online newsletter through Constant Contact.
- Student Government: The College still needs 3 representatives.
- Preparing for Summer School: no challenges indicated at this time.
- Faculty Fellows-Follow-up: The Dean will present information when the report from the pilot study on course redesign is available.
- Blackboard Workshops: Dr. Melichar is working with Vicki to provide a workshop with all English Faculty.
2. Program Review: The Provost has announced another round of program reviews. The Dean asked that Chairs look at their programs and be prepared to discuss at next individual meeting – will be necessary to operate efficiently looking at upward trends and/or plans for increased enrollment.
3. Student Persistence and Success: Committee has been formed; The Dean will bring a report at the next meeting with more details – includes a component addressing the restructuring of Learning Communities
4. Budget Challenges: The initial budget cut has been reduced to 7.6%; President Ambrose has met with the Deans to discuss the possibility of higher cuts still coming. Because the percentage of funds allocated will continue to decrease, it will be necessary to supplement with outside funding. The new VP for Advancement will be called upon to assist in addressing the need for additional resources.
5. Fundraising Priorities: The Dean shared information on pending capital projects pending. The Arts Gateway project will include a major renovation of Hendricks Hall, with an addition/restructuring of the visitor’s lot to provide a “gateway” for the community. Other projects pending approval include the conversion of the General Services building to a multi-use space, Pertle Springs clean up and amphitheatre area, and the development of an underground area of the stadium.
6. 2012 Show Me Justice Film Festival: The Dean encouraged departmental support and investment as an academic tool and motivator for incoming freshman; He asked for the committee to provide a preliminary sketch of the plan for 2012 be forwarded to the chairs and will look at bringing Mark to a future Chairs meeting to report on the festival progress and areas for integration and support.
- March 5-9: Women’s Week 2012
- Apr 4: President’s Gala – 7:30 Hendricks Hall
- Apr 5: CAHSS Awards Reception – 4:00 pm UN 237A/B
Future Meetings: Mar 6 and 20th, April 3 and 17, May 1. All meetings are at 3:30 pm
Summer Meetings: May 15, June 5 and 19 and Jul 17th. All Meetings are at 2:30 pm.