Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

March 19, 2013

March 19 , 2013

The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Chairs Meeting
March 19, 2013
3:30 p.m.

Building Stronger Programs and Departments

Attendance:  Dan Crews, Richard Herman, Mick Luehrman, Don Melichar, Steven Moore, and Jim Staab.

Action items:  Don Melichar will email the name of the common reader book to Dean Nelson.   Dean Nelson will speak to Charlie Rutt to make sure we have enough common reader books.  Dr. Melichar will work with Dr. Boone to ascertain which classes can use the computer labs to complete their student evaluations.  Drs. Moore and Herman will meet and report to Dr. Boone or Sami concerning their additional promotional booth needs.  Dr. Melichar will report back to chairs on how the restructuring of English’s dual credit classes is working.  Dean Nelson will contact Debbie Cunconan to make sure the hybrid online class is the same as regular course in ENG 1020.  Dean Nelson will send requests for how departments engage, advise and retain students to share with all department chairs.  Send your thoughts on the new Board of Governor’s ruling for required two-year on-campus housing to Dean Nelson.  He would also like a report before the end of the semester listing faculty mentors and students being coached.  The Dean will send out a list of the Dean's Honor Roll students to department chairs.  Chairs are to provide the Dean with possible uses for the tablets other than student evaluations, i.e. faculty travel, etc.  Drs. Boone and Melichar will complete the student evaluation document, avoiding duplication between the state, college and department evaluations.

Updates:  Don Melichar reported that the common reader will be used in all sections of COM 1020 and mostly likely all sections of COM 1030 and COM 1080 as well.  Jim Staab suggested looking two years out in order to ensure well-known authors are available.  Suggested future books included The Oath, Lincoln, and Team of Rivals.  Dean Nelson will provide a report showing the overlapping questions on the evaluation. 

Course evaluations and the use of tablets were discussed.  All classroom size information has been submitted by the chairs.  The largest class contains 120 students, but not all students would need a tablet at once.  They could be shared during the class.  Perhaps a few classes could be held in the library by scheduling a block of time with library personnel.  After the evaluations are completed, class could continue to be held in the library.  Considering the cost of each tablet, a small laptop is another option.

The art department has a good model for dual credit courses.  A meeting is planned once a month for art education staff and they compare how they are attaining goals (all syllabi are the same.  Consider getting the high school students on campus for our extracurricular events.

Make sure the definition of credit hour is shared with your faculty.

Department chairs should think about offering general education classes online that would target adults returning to complete a degree.

Attendees discussed faculty performance/development and post-tenure review.   One idea that was suggested to help faculty was to provide more money for professional development at the pre- and post-tenure level.  Faculty suggested changing the name of “post-tenure review” to something else.

New Business:

Think about how you engage and retain your students.  Refine it and give thought to it.  Discuss with your faculty how these items are undertaken.  If you don't have an honor society, think about starting one.  Use the best data to base your decisions.  Department chairs are concerned with the new ruling that students must live on campus for two years, believing this will hurt their retention data.

There is a link on the college web site for freshmen scholarships.  Faculty are asked to mentor students to apply for these national scholarships.   

Best teaching models, etc. - Can we do innovative things?  High impact learning has a lot to do with success of our students.  Look at the models we have and continue to move things forward.  Think of ways to engage students so they learn by doing.

One of the College Advisory Board’s recommendations was to better promote the college concerning things we are doing.  The College would like to develop a model where chairs communicate with a central office when faculty or students do something noteworthy.  Ideas as to how we can provide a much greater PR for faculty and students included 1) a new staff person for visual and performing arts dedicated to promotion of events,  2)  tap into radio and TV in a different format than what is currently being used, 3) advertise more when we have an event on campus.  There is a plan currently to have someone helping with the summer children’s show and PAS events.


President’s Gala is April 9.  The Dean’s office will check into the status of the tickets.    The College Award Ceremony is April 4.

Respectfully submitted,

Sami Babrakzai