Meritorious Service Award
Purpose of award:
To recognize meritorious service to the university and profession by a faculty member in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences over a period of at least five years ending in the spring of the year the award is made.
- Each department may nominate one of its faculty members for this award each year using its internal governance process.
- The department chair will inform the nominee by letter that he/she has been nominated.
- If the nominee accepts the nomination, the department chair will notify the CAHSS office no later than 5:00 pm on December 21 of the current academic year.
- The nominee will compile a packet of materials indicating the extent and significance of his/her achievements, due electronically to the CAHSS office no later than 5:00 pm, February 1 of the current academic year.
- The packet should provide:
- Thorough and pertinent professional biographical data and evidence supporting the fulfillment of the criteria cited below.
- It should also include a current vita and no more than ten pages of other relevant supporting materials.
- Student and alumni comments and recommendations are encouraged.
- The department chair will provide a chair letter of support, accompanied by the original nomination letter, as part of the packet.
Criteria for the Selection of Recipients
Criteria for this award include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- A record of outstanding service to the university through active participation in governance and or committees at departmental, college and university levels. This may also include external university assignments (e.g., an appointment as a UCM representative to a governor’s committee or council)
- A record of outstanding service to the profession through active participation and leadership in professional organizations, as well as professional service within the greater community.