Department of Communication
Get Involved with the "Talking Mules"
The University of Central Missouri "Talking Mules" Speech & Debate Team is nationally and internationally recognized as one of the finest intercollegiate competitive forensics programs.
For one of their biggest spring competitions, the UCM Speech & Debate Team selects several members to participate in an exhibition debate tour of the British Isles. The two-week tour pits UCM's finest against Debate Unions representing such universities as: Cambridge, Oxford, Trinity-Dublin (Ireland), Cardiff and Glamorgan (Wales), The English-Speaking Union (London), and Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Glasgow (Scotland). The "Talking Mules" first took the Montgomery Cup from the British in 2001 and have successfully defended the Cup in several subsequent tours.
Additional honors for the team include:
- 2004 Nationally ranked top 10 in NFA-LD debate
- World Universities Debate Championship 2002
- U.S. National Champions in 1999, 2001, 2002 (International Public Debate Association)
- 2002 and 2001 Nationally ranked Top 10 in the National Parliamentary Debate Association
- 2001 Missouri State Debate Champions
- 2001 Pi Kappa Delta National Debate Championship
- 1998 NFA-LD National Champions
- 1995 Pi Kappa Delta National Championship
Read more about tournament activities.