Communication and Sociology
Sociology Program Scholarships
Sociology Student Recognitions and Scholarships
The University of Central Missouri offers many types of scholarships and awards to students. As well, the Sociology Program has three awards given distinctly to Sociology students to recognize outstanding work. To learn more about these scholarships and awards and how to apply for them, please go to http://www.ucmo.edu/sfs/explore/scholarships/.
C. James Britton Scholarship
The Britton Scholarship is awarded each year to one outstanding student in Sociology, Social Gerontology or Social Work. Those programs were combined during the 39 years Dr. Britton served as chair and as professor of Sociology. In and out of the classroom Dr. Britton was well-respected for his positive engagement and care for students. The scholarship is awarded each fall; applications are due November 1st. For this award, students nominate themselves by completing the paperwork and submitting it to the appropriate academic program. The applications are reviewed and the award is given to one student based on the following criteria:
To apply, a student must:
- be a full-time student at UCM the following academic year;
- be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree within the Department of Sociology and Social Work;
- have earned a minimum of 90 semester credit hours (if an undergraduate student) by the end of
- the semester in which application is submitted, or;
- have earned a minimum of 9 semester credit hours (if a graduate student) and have a minimum
- overall cumulative GPA of 3.75 in all coursework completed by the end of the semester in which
- application is submitted;
- demonstrate good character, leadership and service.
Billy Hu Scholarship
The Dr. Billy Hu Sociology and Social Gerontology Scholarship was established to honor the lifelong academic and service contributions Dr. Hu made to the University of Central Missouri and the international student community. This scholarship allows Dr. Hu’s legacy in teaching excellence to continue. The Hu Scholarship was established to assist a full-time, graduate student at UCM who is pursuing a MA in Sociology or MS in Social Gerontology. Applications are due March 1. To apply, a student must be a full time, graduate student at UCM in good academic standing and preference is given to those who meet the following categories:
- must be pursuing a MA in Sociology or MS in Social Gerontology;
- must be an international student;
- must demonstrate good character, leadership and service.
Riley H. Pittman Outstanding Students in Sociology & Social Gerontology
The Pittman Outstanding Student Award is given to an exceptional student each academic year. One undergraduate in Sociology, one graduate in Sociology and one graduate student in Social Gerontology are selected. This award honors the legacy of Dr. Riley H. Pittman who was recruited in 1957 to develop a sociology program at UCM. He was chair of the department from 1957 to 1971. Nominations are due by March 1. Students are nominated and selected by the faculty using the following criteria:
- excellence in class-related activities;
- quality oral and written work;
- good leadership skills;
- a belief that the student will represent Central well in their chosen profession.