Studio Art: Illustration
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
The Studio Art major with an emphasis in illustration prepares you for a successful career objectives well through the combination of talent, motivation, program content and excellent instruction. You will master creative problem solving, conceptual and aesthetic judgment, and the use of traditional and digital techniques through instruction from highly experienced faculty and hands-on experience.
Why choose Studio Art at UCM?
Option 5: Illustration
- The program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
- UCM is the only state-supported 4-Year school in Missouri with accreditation from NASAD continuously since 1986.
- As an illustration student you will use labs containing up-to-date Macintosh computers, software, scanners, Wacom tablets, printers and other equipment that are standard in the career field.
What will I study?
You will be expected to demonstrate the highest level of ability in foundation art courses and clearly excel in your area of emphasis. In early classes, you will follow the same path as Graphic Design majors, allowing you to learn basic graphic design skills from intensive use of the computer. Through this path, you will come to better understand the teamwork that exists between illustrators and graphic designers.
- Drawing I, II, III
- Figure Construction
- Introduction to Graphic Design and Illustration
- 2-D Design
- 3-D Design
Related areas of concentration:
What can I do with a degree in Studio Art?
- Billboard Artist
- Book Illustrator
- Comic Book Artist
- Commercial Illustrator
Browse additional careers and opportunities.
How can I get involved outside the classroom?
At UCM, we value an engaging learning experience that includes student involvement and service-learning projects.
In studio art, there are several opportunities to be involved:
- American Institute of Graphic Artists
- Art Education Club
- Clay Club
- Gallery of Art and Design
- Illustration Club
- Interior Design Student Association
- Student Artist Coalition
- Print Club
About our Faculty:
The student-to-faculty ratio at UCM is 17 to 1, which allows professors to get to know students and provide personalized attention.
UCM's Art and Design faculty includes 15 full-time and 14 part-time professors who have extensive knowledge and expertise in various art fields. Many of the faculty have had their work featured at the local, national and international levels.
Learn more about Studio Art at UCM:
Department of Art and Design