Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content
Warrensburg, MO 64093
1. The current version of the Central Thesis Manual must be followed.
2. When the Central Thesis Manual does not specify formatting rules, the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed) must be followed.
3. It is the student's responsibility to select his/her thesis committee. Once a committee and a thesis chair have been identified, the student must complete the Department Thesis Information form, located in the department office.
4. The thesis prospectus must be formatted according to the above manuals and should include, at a minimum: a chapter describing the purpose, rationale, and hypotheses; a chapter describing the methodology in detail; and a description of the methods that will be used to analyze the results. The student should submit the final draft of the prospectus to the committee members at least one week prior to a scheduled prospectus meeting. The thesis committee must approve the thesis prospectus before the student is allowed to begin conducting the research.
5. The thesis must be an empirical (qualitative or quantitative) research project. Replications of previously done research may be acceptable as long as the rationale for the replication is justified in the prospectus. The use of archival data may also be acceptable as long as it is justified in the rationale.
6. The thesis research must be of sufficient quality that it could be presented at a professional conference and/or published in an academic journal. A thesis may be of high quality apart from whether the results are statistically significant or not.
7. The student is responsible for scheduling the thesis defense and making announcement flyers that will be posted in centralized location in the Lovinger Building. All members of the thesis committee must be present at the defense, and the student should be prepared to answer any questions relating to the topic of the thesis.
8. The thesis committee may choose to approve the thesis contingent on minor changes which will be approved by the thesis committee chair.