The 1998 Higher Education Act requires postsecondary institutions to make a good faith effort to distribute voter registration information. Missouri requires voter registrations be printed on a thicker type of paper than used by regular printers. Due to that requirement, voter registrations cannot be completed online, or by a registration form printed from the Internet. University of Central Missouri provides voter registration centers where community members may acquire a voter registration card.. Individuals wishing to vote, register to vote, or request an absentee ballot are encouraged to visit one of seven voter information centers on campus. Information centers are located at:
- Student Activities in Elliott Union, Room 217
- Mentoring Advocacy and Peer Support (MAPS) in Dockery, Room 212
- Human Resources in Administration Building, Room 101
- Information desk at the James C. Kirkpatrick Library
- Office of Student Experience and Engagement in Administration Building, Room 214
- Office of Accessibility Services in Elliot Union, Room 222
- Information Desk, Lee's Summit Campus
Register to Vote
There are three ways to register to vote:
- Registration forms may be filled out in person at your local election authority. Identity, residence and qualifications are required. All information is signed and sworn to, then turned in to a local election authority.(§ 115.155, RSMo Supp. 1997)
- Registration by mail requires submission of an application. A verification or rejection of registration is sent by the election authority to the applicant. (§ 115.155 & 115.159, RSMo Supp. 1997). You can request a mail-in post card at the candidates and voters' information page from the Office of the Missouri Secretary of State.
- Driver's license offices or participating state agencies offer an opportunity to register by mail. Fill out an application of qualifications when renewing a driver's license or at participating state agencies.
Important Things to Note
- The address you provide on the voter registration card determines where you are registered to vote and where you vote. If you want to vote in Johnson County, you must provide a Johnson County address. If you want to vote at "home," then provide your home address. You can only be registered in one county.
- The registration form must be validated before you can vote. If you register by mail, you must vote in your assigned voting place on election day or request an absentee ballot in person. You cannot register to vote by mail, then request an absentee ballot by mail.
Procedure for Mail-in Registration
- Fill out voter registration card.
- Send bottom portion of voter registration card to the local election authority in the county which you listed as your residence. A list of addresses for election authorities is available online at the Office of the Missouri Secretary of State. Missouri state law requires an individual be registered to vote 30 days prior to the election in order to be eligible to vote in the election. Retain top portion of registration card for your records.
- You should receive a letter from the clerk's office indicating you are officially registered to vote and identifying your polling place. Check to see if your voter registration was received by calling your local election authority. Each voter registration card has a red serial number that allows it to be tracked. The same number appears on the top portion of the card you kept for your records. You can also check the online database, which will tell you whether you are registered to vote and what polling place
- You will need to show some form of identification in order to have your voter registration validated before you can vote. You cannot mail a voter registration card, then request an absentee ballot by mail.
Sources for additional information about elections in Missouri:
- Your county clerk can answer specific questions about voting places and local elections.
- The Office of the Missouri Secretary of State is the state election authority and can provide a variety of information. Address: 600 W. Main and 208 State Capitol, P.O. Box 778, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102, Telephone: 573-751-2301 or 800-669-8683.
- Dr. Shari Bax,
Vice Provost for Student Experience and Engagement, Administration Building, Room 214, University of Central Missouri.
If you're registering to vote in another state, please refer to the Election Assistance Comission.