Career & Technology Education
- About the Department
- Degree Programs
- Current Students
- Future Students
- Faculty & Staff
Family and Consumer Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Education
FCSE/Fashion Unit Mission Statement
The mission of the UCM Family Consumer Science Unit aligns with the university effort to prepare students for success through the dissemination of knowledge that promotes teaching, scholarship and service.
The FCS Unit is accredited through the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences and is recognized for innovative curriculum that encompasses the scope of the FCS Body of Knowledge and prepares students for careers in the program areas of:
- Family Consumer Sciences Education (FCSE)
- Fashion: Textiles and Clothing in Business (FAME)
In addition, Family and Consumer Sciences Unit promote an enriched lifestyle for individuals and families by preparing them to become better citizens within the community and global society. The framework for these programs is structured to promote lifelong learning through leadership, scholarship and service. Students are encouraged to be caring and compassionate individuals in a diverse and sustainable environment that recognizes behavioral and technological changes evolving over the lifespan.
FCSE Concentration Area Mission
The mission of family and consumer sciences education is to prepare students for family life, work life and career in family and consumer sciences by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes and behavior needed for:
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community and work settings.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
- Balancing personal, home, family, community, and work environments.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments.
- Successful life management, employment, and career development.
- Functioning as providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one’s actions and success in family and individuals
The family and consumer sciences education (FCS Ed) program at the University of Central Missouri has been approved by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and met the standards for the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Graduates will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Meet subject matter/content areas for certification in Vocational Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Meet Professional Education requirements for certification.
- Demonstrate the ability to become a lifelong learner by joining and attending professional organizations, continuing education, and networking with related subject areas.
- Interact with diverse and global environments.
- Teach knowledge and skills to today's high school and middle school young people to function throughout life.
- Use technology, research skills, problem solving, communication and critical thinking to the teaching profession
There is a continued demand for graduates of this program. Nearly one-third of the occupations expected to experience the largest growth in Missouri during this decade are related to family and consumer sciences.
The FCS Education graduate will be certified to teach students from birth to 12th grade. Graduates can be employed in both traditional and nontraditional classroom settings that include middle, junior and senior high schools and secondary career and technical centers. In addition, graduates can serve as family and consumer sciences consultants at elementary-level, teach adult enrichment courses or continuing education classes for special groups such as parents, senior citizens and migrant workers. Graduates can also be employed by the Missouri Cooperative Extension Service, government agencies, health and human services, and retail institutions.
The local Association for Family and Consumer Sciences is a vital part of the program. Members participate in a wide variety of activities that give leadership opportunities at the local, state, national and international levels. Students gain personal and professional skills by the involvement of many campus and community service projects.
Students in Family and Consumer Sciences Education may apply for the numerous scholarships. Most applications must be delivered or postmarked byMarch 1 to the address printed on the application. http://www.ucmo.edu/foundation/scholarships/career.cfm
Unit Mission Statement
The Family and Consumer Sciences Unit promotes an enriched lifestyle for individuals and families by preparing them to become better citizens within the community and global society. The framework for these programs is structured to promote lifelong learning through leadership, scholarship and service. Students are encouraged to be caring and compassionate individuals in a diverse and sustainable environment that recognizes behavioral and technological changes evolving over the lifespan.
Unit Goals seek to:
- create an all-inclusive, high-quality educational environment that includes rigorous relevant curricula and enhances the Unit’s mission, goals, and integrates the Body of Knowledge.
- engage faculty and students in leadership, scholarship, and service opportunities that best prepares them to be confident and competent professionals.
- provide technology-centered learning environments that best meets students’ workforce needs in a 21st century global community.
- provide opportunities to advocate sustainable practices that change environmental behavior in a culturally-diverse market.