"What Can I Do With a Major in...Social Work?"
Why Major in Social Work?
The graduate with a Bachelor of Social Work degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Identify as a professional social worker and conduct one's self accordingly.
- Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
- Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgements.
- Engage diversity and differences in practice.
- Advance human rights/social and economic justice.
- Engage research informed practice and practice informed research.
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
- Engage into policy practice to advance social and economic well-being and to deliver effective social work practices.
- Respond to contexts that shape practice.
- Engage, assess, intervene, and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
Related Career Titles
|Agency Director||Group Home Director|
|Case Worker||Hospice Coordinator|
|Casework Supervisor||Hospital Social Worker|
|Child Life Specialist||Industrial Social Worker|
|Child Protective Services Worker||Medical Social Worker|
|Child Welfare Caseworker||Parole Officer|
|Clinical Social Worker||Policy Analyst|
|Community Organization Worker||Prison Social Worker|
|Court Appointed Special Advocate||Psychiatric Social Worker|
|Crisis Worker||School Social Worker|
|Domestic Violence Social Worker||Social Group Worker|
|Drug Rehab Counselor||Social Service Caseworker|
|Eligibility Specialist||Social Welfare Administrator|
|Employee Assistance Program Worker||Social Work Researcher|
|Family Counselor||Social Worker|
|Foster Care Counselor||Social Worker Criminal Justice|
|Gerontology Specialist||Substance Abuse Counselor|
Related Job Listings/Job Search Website
American Board of Examiners in Social Work Job Center
Federal Jobs Digest,
Human Services Career Network
Nonprofit Career Network
Nonprofit Times Jobs
Social Work Job Bank
Social Work Search
American Counseling Association
Association of Social Work Students (UCM)
The Chronicle of Philanthropy
International Federation of Social Workers
National Association of Social Workers
New Social Worker Online
Phi Alpha Honor Society (UCM)
Social Work Today
Four-Year Academic Plan
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Career Services Center by e-mail at email@example.com and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me?
Career Development Coordinator