"What Can I Do With a Major in...Studio Art?"
Why Major in Studio Art?
The graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Studio Art will use the knowledge and skills obtained in these programs to:
• Produce innovative and skillful work in visual art and design that demonstrates critical and creative thinking in both product and process and exhibits a consideration of theories, practices and emerging trends in art and design.
• Communicate and support informed and artistically sensitive interpretations and evaluations about their own work as well as visual forms made by others by using perceptual, contextual, critical, and aesthetic concepts that underlie the disciplines of art and design.
• Identify, describe and explain global, contemporary and historical art/ design works and exhibit a consideration of their relationship to context and theory.
• Help facilitate a visually rich and culturally sensitive society by describing, explaining and applying the unique and important individual and collaborative artistic contributions made by women and men from diverse racial, geographical and cultural groups.
• Use technology as a resource in creative and critical processes to produce art, as well as to gather and share information about art and design history, aesthetics and art criticism.
• Exhibit evidence of an understanding of the professional practices and ethical standards for employment and long-term success in the graduate’s degree program career field.
• Demonstrate in their work an understanding of and a concern for safety, the principles of sustainability, and the environmental impact of the decisions they make as artists and/or designers.
• Employ knowledge of art theories, contexts, and art/design works to serve as precedents to inform the production of art and design.
Related Career Titles
|Advertising Artist||Bookplate Artist|
|Architectural Conservationist||Corporate Curator|
|Art Administrator||Curatorial Consultant|
|Art Advisor||Freelance Collection Manager|
|Art Buyer||Gallery Owner|
|Art Critic||Motion Picture Scenic Designer|
|Art Exhibition Coordinator||Mural Artist|
|Art Foundry Technician||Museum Artist|
|Art Gallery Manager||Museum Curator|
|Art Investor||Newspaper Artist|
|Art Librarian||Stained Glass Artist|
|Art Preservationist||Visual Resource Curator|
|Artist||Greeting Card Artist|
|Artistr Representative||Fine Artists|
|Art Director||Medical Illustrator|
|Book Illustrator||Sketch Artist|
|Comic Book Artist||Technical Illustrator|
|Commercial Illustrator||Video Game Designer|
|Corporate Designer||Web Page Designer|
|Arts Organization Consultant|
Related Job Listings/Job Search Website
Clay Club (UCM)
National Council for the Education of the Ceramic Arts
Greeting Card Association
Society for Environmental Graphic Design
Society of Illustrators
The Art Directors Club
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
Animation Blog Spot
Animation World Network
American Federation of Arts
National Association of Independent Artists
Americans for the Arts
Four-Year Academic Plan
The career paths listed are those which are commonly associated with this area of study and in no way does this site attempt to suggest that these are all of the career paths possible. Some of the career paths listed may require additional education, training, development, licenses and/or certifications. Listings of resources such as job listings, web links, professional organizations, library publications, and other information found on this page are believed to be accurate and true at the time published. The "What Can I Do With A Major In..." database is reviewed and updated every year in July. While no list is truly exhaustive, if you feel something should be added, deleted, changed or updated on this page, please contact the Career Services Center by e-mail at email@example.com and an out-of-cycle change will be completed.
Who Can Help Me?
Career Development Coordinator